[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

QT tank problems

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Michael

Default QT tank problems

Well I got my Ph straightened out with my Qt tank. Just hung a filter bag full of crushed coral infrotn of HOB filter and all is fine thanks. New problem arised this weekend,my display has ick,captured all my fish and used a slow drip acclimation for about 1 1/2 hours all seemed fine. Placed a green chromis in QT tank and he went crazy after about 5-10 minutes of this he ended up stuck to the powerhead(swimming upside down, in circles,spirals and jumping)
    Initially I thought just exploring a new tank but this went on too long and too wild(something wrong with water?) Removed him to the display within 1/2 hour all was normal(other fish still in holding container) PArameters are SG1.023,PH8.2,Nitrates5ppm,Ammonia 0,nitrites 0, Copper .25mg/litres. Copper is the only additional different from the display(it Seachem cuppramine). I am thinking stray electrical current. How do I check for this? I have several meters(digital multi meter,portable scope and graphing digital mutli meter) I have ordered a grounding probe but probaly won't see this until end of the week. Would like to start treatment sooner.
    Mike:WHY:

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Ground your multi meter and put the tip of the probe in the tank while set for a voltage check. It will tell you if this is a problem.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

CR Member
    First Name
    Michael

Update
    Could copper be too strong or not agreeable with the chromis?
    Although I only dosed for a 20 gal tank it is a 29. I did a 10 gal water change and still got the same reading on my test kit24 hours later. I was warned and realize copper can be highly toxic. I am using Sea chem Cuppramine and Aqarium Pharmicuticals test kit. Might try another test kit. Just some thoughts
    Mike

I doubt it but you could try doing a water change to dilute it and dropping the SG which is safer anyways.

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would just start over, dump the water clean & refill the tank with water from the main tank or mix a new batch. I would probably get a new medication, maybe even a different brand or if it has to be the same brand try from a different store.

It is also recommended to keep salinity/gravity a bit lower in a quarantine/hospital tank (~1.019) along with a lower temp 72-78F, since it helps lower bacterial activity and helps with parasitic infections.

Then I would just drip acclimate my fish to the water parameters in the main display.
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

For a lower salinity to work it needs to be 1.008 and raiseing the temp to 80-82 would shorten the lifecycle of ich lowering your temp will only make it harder to get rid of.