[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Re: hair algea and phosphates

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Re: hair algea and phosphates

I know that if you have hair algea, that the phosphates are higher than desired. But what I don't know is, does a phos binder help with this? I saw a brand at petsmart called phos-x, but what I'm concerned about is if this will harm my inhabitants. Anyone have any stories/experience with it?

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i used that brand for about a month, seemed like nothing happened. i build a phosban reactor and put in the phos-x ... no noticable difference. i dont know if i just didn't do something right or what, bubt i gave up on it and started to do waterchanges about every 4-6 weeks. i should probably do more, but it works FOR ME.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

We haven't tried that particular brand, have tried Phos-Ban though, saw pretty much the same results as Bobby. Locating the isolating the source of the phosphates and water changes brough them back down to undetectable levels.

A frequent problem with phosphate binding materials is once it becomes saturated it begins releasing what it was designed to capture, sometimes at alarming levels. Changing at the recommended intervals (or shorter) may help avoid this.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

You can have hair algae in your tank with virtually undetectable levels of phosphate. I use phos-ban in a reactor, it seems to help out, the trick is use 2 reactors this way when you change out the media you don't put a strain on the tank, swap one every other change.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

We actually only have two little tuft of it in my Seahorse tank on my Suncoral. I just pluck it off and throw it away. I don't see it becoming a nuisance since it's been there for so long.
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

I had hair algea all over the place, I added PhosGuard by Seachem and all of it dissapeared very soon after. This stuff realy works. I use 2x H.O.T. Magnum 250 Canister Filters as reactors and to add circulation to my 60g instead of powerheads. When this stuff turns a darker brownish color its time to replace it. It could take one day or 3 months depending on the concentration of phosphate in your tank.

Also, check your silicates and nitrate levels which are also algea food. Or turn the lights off for three days if possible and it should take care of it (if the source of food for the algea isnt resolved it WILL come back).

Add more circulatuon to your water, it will detach most hair algea.

Check that none of the chemicals, food, salt and etc, you are using do not contain phosphate.

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

phosguard!!! i'll swear by it. Overnight after adding this product my phosphates were gone.

I use RowaPhos. Its great stuff. I have it in a phosban reactor also. Another great thing to do is to keep a fuge with chaeto or calupra in it to compete for nutrients and starve the hair algae