[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Recomend me a heater.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    robandrosco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob

Default Recomend me a heater.

Well.. I guess my marine land 200 watt will not cut it this winter, I walked in to find all of my LPS shrunken and just plain looking unhappy, so I checked the water parameters and all tested out perfectly. But I did notice that the water felt cold. So I checked the temp and I was sitting at 71. Cranked up the heater and all of the LPS have puffed back up and are looking awesome again. Tank temp is currently 79ish. It was originally set at 78 now is at 82 with the ambient being increased from 65 to 70.

So after my investigation I would say that this heater just wont cut it like my old one did (died).

what shall I replace it with (unsure on wattage) and want a good reliable brand.

Thanks!

Rob

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I like the Finex controller with their titanium heaters if your on a tight budget. You can't calibrate it tho like the pin point that I use but you can verify it with a thermometer very easily. My personal preference is the pinpoint and it drives a Finex titanium submersable heater. The pinpoint is rock solid and consistent. You never need to replace the thermocouple and it can be calibrated! The Finex heaters are bullet proof also. Here's a link
    Aquarium Supplies for Reef, Marine, Saltwater Fish Tank - AquaCave.com
    Finnex HC810 Digital Controller - AquaCave.com
    Finnex 300W Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube - AquaCave.com

ksfulk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kris

I like the Finnex heaters as well, but I also swear by the eheim Jager heaters. Solidly built, decent price and rugged. I run a 300w on my 70 gallon system and have had the same heater for three years. They are long, however, so make sure you have plenty of room.
    Likes creefer liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I use Finnex titanium and eheim heaters. On a apex or a Finnex controller.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

frisbee - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've got some Aquaclear heaters that have been with me for years on end without any problems. It was pretty much set it & forget it.

First Name
    Rob

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Going with the Finnex controller and heater seems like the best bang for the buck.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

If you can swing it, a full controller (APEX, reef angel, ReefKeeper, ect) will give you so much more functionality. Then your current heater can still be used.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I second Tom's comments. If you can swing an Apex, it's well worth it. Even an Apex lite if you can find one.

First Name
    Rob

how about an apex junior?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That'll do. But you'll likely end up wanting features that come standard on the full or lite. If/when that happens then, you'll need to buy modules and an EB-8 (outlets). Going that route will end up costing more. Keep an eye out for a used system in the sale forums. Or post a WTB ad and see what happens.

Please don't get me wrong, the Finnex setup may be an excellent piece of equipment. I have no experience using one. But you'll get way more BANG (for a lotta buck) if you go APEX.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last