[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Red Brownish Algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

Default Red Brownish Algae

Red orangish maybe even a rusty brown colored stuff started growing on my live rock. Im guessing its a type of algae. Im not exactly sure, but I set my lights timer because i went to see family on the west side of the state and when I came back the next day the stuff was on the glass substrate and circulation pump. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is and if its healthy?

Looking around my guess is its because I didn't use RO water to start my tank up. I haven't bought a unit yet but i plan to soon. I'm looking for any options to help the tank now.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Diatoms maybe? Does it look like this?......

1033 diatom4 - Red Brownish Algae

First Name
    Patrick

Similar but I would say worse and maybe more orange colored ill try to get a pic.

First Name
    Patrick

Not sure if I got a good Pic
    DSC00113 - Red Brownish Algae

DSC00114 1 - Red Brownish Algae
    Need To Clean my Glass

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

The pieces with none on them are brand new.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Kinda Looks like Dinoflagellates to me (going by the bubbles). More often than not an excess of nitrates and/or phosphates is the problem. A few things I have done in the past to control outbreaks

• Carbon as a scrubber can help, run actively or passively. I recommend almost everyone use carbon in there sump; run passively at least and changed at regular intervals. It improves water clarity as well as quality.
    • Raised pH can eliminate the problem but perhaps only short term without other issues being addressed.
    • A refugium, if space allows, can go a long way in counteracting dino's as well as many other BAB's that are commonly discussed.
    • Nitrate sponges or some other NO3 remover can be affective.
    • Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) can be used (with caution) to remove phosphates

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

how long has this been set up cause it looks like normal algae from cycling a tank
    should go from brown to green and then u no your tank is ready if this is a new set up nothing to worry about i would add a small amount of mb7 to help the cycle along
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Patrick

Its been running for about three weeks. I've been using biozyme and nutrafin cycle to help the cycle going, I hope it means the cycle is getting along I would love for this tank to be done.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Pat-O View Post
    Its been running for about three weeks. I've been using biozyme and nutrafin cycle to help the cycle going, I hope it means the cycle is getting along I would love for this tank to be done.
    yea its a good sign like i said will go to green algea before its done
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Patrick

On the little middle not brownish colored piece in the middle of the two larger rocks in the first picture we just discovered some what looks like coral very small but cool looking a couple stems and on each stem little fingers that are like a almost neon green.

Is this common?

My Girl picked the piece out because it had a lot of purple on it lol

First Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidgoose View Post
    Kinda Looks like Dinoflagellates to me (going by the bubbles). More often than not an excess of nitrates and/or phosphates is the problem. A few things I have done in the past to control outbreaks

• Carbon as a scrubber can help, run actively or passively. I recommend almost everyone use carbon in there sump; run passively at least and changed at regular intervals. It improves water clarity as well as quality.
    • Raised pH can eliminate the problem but perhaps only short term without other issues being addressed.
    • A refugium, if space allows, can go a long way in counteracting dino's as well as many other BAB's that are commonly discussed.
    • Nitrate sponges or some other NO3 remover can be affective.
    • Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) can be used (with caution) to remove phosphates
    Most of the algae is turning green now which I am very happy about but the piece with the bubbles has gotten a little worse and seems to have some pieces stringing now. Not sure if its the stuff your talking about but do you think I should actively treat for it. I already have carbon in my filter and I am currently raising a low ph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last