[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Red Hair Algea is TAKING OVER THE WORLD!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default Red Hair Algea is TAKING OVER THE WORLD!

Ok, maybe not the world, but definatly a few rocks in my tank. Here are some pictures, anyone know what eats this crap? It's annoying. The parameters are all excellent, salinity is good, current is strong. Any advice would be welcome...unless it's from PERPETUAL and involves copper, or stupid pictures! :p
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Love This much - Red Hair Algea is TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I bet a Tang or an emerald crab would eat it but I suggest you go a different route. The algae is feeding off the extra nutrients in the water. If you remove the nutrients the algae will melt away. I would suggest maybe turning up your skimmer, feeding less, increasing the amount of macro in your fug, or reducing the lighting cycle. All of this will help to some degree. As your system matures you will be able to increase the nutrients without seeing the micro algae outbreaks.

I can say you paremeter may apear excellent but they most certainly are not. hair algae needs 2 things to thrive nitrates and phosphates.the algae itself is keeping your paremeters in lower levels by eating it. unfortunatly in the proccess of smothering your LR and corals. first qustion is how old are your bulbs ,(old bulbs can be a contributing factor to eccess algae growth).filter media should be changed on a weekly basis to inhibit ecces nitrates in your tank to feed the algae.ie the use of nitrate sponges can be usefull in the effect of starving the algae(change weekly so leaching of the toxins does not accure) phosphate removers rowaphos is a very effective product that does not leach it back into the system for phosphate removal. fish that eat this is always a hit and miss where ones fish may eat it another ones may not I have always had large tangs that eat them but you need to be certain your tank is large enough to keep them.

Lights are only about 1 month old, and I don't run any type of filter media. It might just be that my tank is still pretty new, only about 2 months at the most.

I am heading down to the fish store today, and I will talk to them about some crabs. I don't have any in there right now, but it is about time to start stocking up on them. Thanks.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Search for a phosban reactor, i used this when I had a red algea explosion and it tamed it and controlled it , in under a week.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner
    Lights are only about 1 month old, and I don't run any type of filter media. It might just be that my tank is still pretty new, only about 2 months at the most.

I am heading down to the fish store today, and I will talk to them about some crabs. I don't have any in there right now, but it is about time to start stocking up on them. Thanks.
    best to go with scarlet hermits turbo snails and nas snails these are the best clean up.emerald crabs and some other crabs have a bad tendancy later down the road to become coral munchers.you may want o do some research on a sea hair they will do the job but your tank may be too new for them as of yet.i do reccomend running a type of filtration with filter media IE carbons ect this will keep your water quality much better

While you're asking about crabs, make sure that you get some drawn butter for them. Mmmmm crabs....

You could try this too....

http://backyardgardener.com/gp/Garde...pper_Crab.html

(Sweet, that was a double whammy! I'm on a roll today....)

These are especially good at snarfing up algae too...

crabx1 - Red Hair Algea is TAKING OVER THE WORLD!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last