[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Reef damage from recent tsunamis

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Reef damage from recent tsunamis

Aside from the tradgic loss of human life and property suffered from the recent tsunamis I finally found some info on the damage suffered of the surrounding reefs that may be of some interest.
    Article lifted from Bangkok Post

At least four coral reef areas off Phi Phi and Surin were ravaged by tsunamis, which crashed into the exotic marine structures and flooded them with sand and garbage, marine experts said.

Even though top environmental officials said the impact counted for little in the overall assessment, a shocking scene near Surin archipelago and damage in areas near Phi Phi island raised a voice of concern.

``It disappeared,'' said Kasetsart University's marine scientist Thon Thamrongnawasawat as he described what he saw in Aow Chong Khad, a small gulf in Surin archipelago, during his two-day inspection on coral reef areas in the Andaman sea, west of Thailand.

A range of coral reefs at Chong Khad cape, a popular spot for diving close to a beach, had gone when Mr Thon and his team inspected the area this week.

Lumps of coral reef as large as cars were just tossed to one side by the waves, Mr Thon said. ``Around half a square kilometre of coral reef was affected,'' Mr Thon said, in a total area of eight square kilometres of coral reef in Surin archipelago, the largest coral reef area in the Andaman sea. His concern came in a contrast with comments by the Tourism Authority of Thailand after its team of divers came back from the South with a videotape of coral reef conditions.

Its governor Juthamas Siriwan said on Tuesday that only small parts of the coral reef in the Similan islands were damaged.

Department of Marine and Coastal Resources chief Maitree Duangsawasdi said after meeting marine experts from eight universities yesterday that coral reefs in some areas were damaged, but on the whole the impacts on coral reef were small.

The department asked marine scientists from eight universities, including Mr Thon's team, to assess the coral damage.

``To estimate the damage, it should be only a quarter or one fifth of coral reef in Phi Phi Islands that were badly hit,'' said Niphon Phongsuwan of Phuket Marine Biological Centre.

He was asked to inspect coral reef near Patong beach in Phuket and Phi Phi islands in Krabi.

Aow Lo La Na, Koh Phai, and a part of Koh Phi Phi Lay were another three areas, where coral reef was severely damaged by the waves, Mr Niphon said.

The coral reef, if not broken or thrown away by the wave force, was gradually killed by garbage and sand coverage.

``We could not remove thick layers of sand out of the reef and have to wait for a moonsoon to take them out by tidal waves,'' Mr Niphon said.

``The coral reef will die as a result, but when the sand goes, young new coral species will cling to the reef remains and grow up again.''
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Marine life could take centuries to recover from tsunamis
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1274714.htm

Tsunami affecting fish availability
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...m.php?news=542

UNDP provides diving equipment to tsunami area for coral clean up
    http://www.undp.org/dpa/pressrelease...pr11jan05.html

BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES....

Just amazing... scary amazing.... these images truly helped me to put the event into perspective:

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/

Dave
    _____
    ><((((

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wow those before and after pics really show just how much devastation the areas sustained. The visual is tremendous, Whole areas are just Gone.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Yeah... it was really those pictures that brought it all into reality for me. I have a home on the coast of Cape Cod. It's protected by a barrier island (Washburn Isle). It too was once split by a hurricane and water spout and changed the coast and waters drastically. I couldn't imagine seeing an island just....dissapear. Kind of humbling....
    ><((((

Default Awful

Those before and after pictures are terrible. What a feeling of hopelessness they must be feeling. It sure makes me feel helpless.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

The loss is so tremendous to human life, the reef, etc... Some of the news reports that the press repetitively broadcast over and over just broke my heart. What a helpless feeling to sit and watch these tragedies and not be able to help in some way that you feel would truly be effective. Family's searching desperately for family members, hearts and homes torn apart. Then the people who always look to gain from peoples pain. Sadly, to see such a tragedy result in children who have lost their families by being sold as slaves and such, is equal to the shock and pain of the tsunamis itself. May God Bless All The Victims!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~