[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Which Reef Salt do YOU use?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member

Default Which Reef Salt do YOU use?

We have discovered why our pH is low which has messed with the calcium and/or alk levels. We did a bit of research on the Seachem Reef Salt we started using back in May. It drops the pH to 7.8! :WHY:

So... we are looking for a reef salt that actually keeps the pH to the correct level of 8.3 We are ordering our 180 gallon tank and don't want the same problems with pH etc.

Which salt do YOU use? Why? What are the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

CR Member

Um.... we started using Oceanic last May. What do y'all think about Seachem? Sorry for the flub!

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have been using Tropic Marin for years, I think salt needs to be of high quality in a reef tank and should not be overlooked, you would not run a tank with thousands of dollars of coral on an incandesant 40 watt light bulb with an airstone. TM is not cheap but it seems to be one of the better ones.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i personally have used Instant Ocean since i got into reef keeping. i chose this brand for it reputation of being one of the best out there. IME i have not had ANY problems with it. so why fix it if it aint broken ??

TMC salt is rubbish wouldnt even go there, levels of calcium and mg are way low.

I use Kent salt, has high levels of calcium, magnesium and PH is usually above 8 on a fresh mix with dKH over 10.
    ideal if you are keeping a reef tank

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

We use nothing but Oceanic salt mix here.....
    while there are a few pros and cons for it we like it, the way high Calcium content is great, almost never having to suplement for calcium, but Alk is a little low, adding baking soda or washing soda (each in turn to maintain constant pH levels) combined simply added to top off keeps Alk dialed in right around 10dKH and calcium holds around 480ppm.

Something seldom taken into consideration when comparing saly mixes is the simple fact that no two water sources are the same, IMO even after passing through an RO/DI the resulting water is seldom to be the same between two people, some trace stuff does stay in the water...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

"TMC salt is rubbish wouldnt even go there, levels of calcium and mg are way low." -- Muzzy stated--
    So now were going to revert to juvenile responses by bashing products? This thread was asking for an opinion not product bashing without and data to back it up, try taking a look at some sites that have a comparrison, I would hardly say the levels are way low, as a matter of fact take a look at this analysis and see how your Kent mix rated, exactly as Tropic Marin did. Pretty interesting facts there huh??
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1/view

This goes to show that there are more things needed by a salt mix than a high level of Magnesium and Calcium, TM and Kent and IO happen to provide more of the necessary elements then alot of other brands. With any Salt you will most likely have to substitute certain things,but I would hardly say that TM is rubbish, that is merely an unproven and uneducated opinion.

I mainly use ocean water, they sell it at my local fish store (filtered), or anytime I go out during high tide.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

For me I have learned a trick to get the best results. I use both oceanic and Instant ocean. I mix them half and half. Instant ocean is low in calcium, Oceanic is high in calcium. Oceanic gives me low alk and PH, Instant Ocean tends to mix at higher alk and PH levels. By mixing them I get very good results. I haven't tried any other salt mixes due to the fact that no others are available within close driving range. I hope that helps.

Angie

CR Member

Yes you have all been a nice help. Thanks I will check out the Tropic Marin and I like the idea of mixing two types too. hmmmmm

Thanks All!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last