[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Reefing Livestock has really gone up !

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Default Reefing Livestock has really gone up !

Has anyone noticed that in the last year how much Livestock has had a price increase ? I am certainly not complaining about our LFS , they are in business like every other business and I appreciate them and frequent them weekly. It just seems the whole industry has had a price leap on certain Livestock, not to mention some of these crazy $500 coral frags. $ 1500 protein skimmers etc etc....

I just went today and bought my clean up crew, 2 basic fish, 3 Shrimp,and 1 filter sock. I spent $200. Wow, that added up fast ! I went to 2 different stores, and did some pricing online. Prices were fairly close when compared. When I changed from Freshwater to Saltwater 2 years ago, I bought my first Cleaner Shrimp for $9.99 .

Maybe I live in the dark, but what happened ? Did the oil spill contribute to these costs ? I would think that with all the captive breading, prices would go down ? I Don't want this to turn into a ***** session, obviously this is an expensive hobby, but I guess I was a little shocked.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree that in the past couple years the price of the hobby seems to have shot up...disproportionately to inflation.

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

When the gas $ went to the high, the Airlines shipping went to a high and then gas went down but the airlines stayed at the high. really sucks when the shipping is 3 times the cost of the shipment it self some times.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah I don't necessarily think the LFSs are to blame. I think the collectors and distributors have jumped on the name game and also bought saws.

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

They tryed for a min but the shipping has got out of control.

First Name
    Bill

Isn't it crazy how the "All Mighty Gallon of Oil " can affect every single thing in our lives, from Milk to Blue legged hermit crab's ! haha , it makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time. LOL

One would think 20 years ago 1 Cleaner Shrimp would cost $30 because of supply and demand and various problems with harvesting them from the ocean. But with modern technology and breeding it should be more like $5 each , but it's not that way at all. Actually today I purchased 3 baby Cleaner Shrimp and it cost me $70
    Last edited by streetrodder007; 08-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.

dcmartinpc - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Don

The hobby is going nuts. I just got a great deal from Mr. Coral. Anytime you can get 35 quality frags for less than $230, you are in good shape. And most of the stuff he sent me had WAY more polyps on it than he advertised. There are still some deals out there, you just need to hunt. But overall, I completely agree. I guess it is up to us as hobbyist to keep trading and then maybe the dealers will get the idea :D

Don

First Name
    Bill

That works out to $6.57 a frag. You did real good, Congrat's .
    Now bring some of that over to my house and split it with me ! LOL

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Just an FYI, I just bought a supplemental clean up crew from reefcleaners.org and man oh man are his prices good. I'm hoping that it helps me. Should be shipping Monday.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

yeah. i thought my cleaner shrimp was $26 the other day as if that wasnt bad enough, it was really $29! lol
    i havnt seen much cheaper even from the sites where stuff is really cheap. the lowest has been $19 i think.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last