[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

refugium

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default refugium

I have a 20 gallon tank I used as a quarantine tank. It has set for 6 months with no livestock in it. I was wondering if there was anyway to turn it into a refugium. I have read about the algae and all but should the tank flow into the sump then pump into the refugium or vice-versa. I have a155 gal with built in overflows that go to a wet/dry filter now. There are just a few bio-balls in there now too quiet the water fall now. I would like to keep the 20 0n its display stand and set it next to the big tank. Is this possible? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Andy.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i guess it would be possible with multiple pumps, but it might be a little risky. if one pump goes out ... there goes your floor. i would look into a sump with a built in fuge. mine is a DIY, but they do make them.

from tank to fuge to sump is the way i would do it. but it doesn't really matter the order you go in IMO.

hope this helps some ... later

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

helps some appreciate the info.

First Name
    Bobby

thinking about it more ... if the sump and fuge where side by side you could drill the 2 of them down low (so one would drain to the other), put a baffle and return pump in one end of the fuge. but the tanks would have to be side by side and level (or the one getting the drain off lower than the other). this might be a better option than running so many pumps. and a lot less risky.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

be sure you didn't use any copper in the QT!!!!!!!!!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

First Name
    Bobby

Tyler (dirt4dinner) is the only one here that uses copper, lol.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I personaly use it in my QT but I have a long and tedius method I follow before placeing the fish back in the display.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

the refuge would probably sit 2 ft. higher than the sump I am starting to get scared now when you mention flooding. I let my RO run over about 1 gallon or so and my life,my tank, the whole world came to and end. I would sooner get divorced than water on the floor. I appreciate everyone's thoughts but I might as well cancel this one. Thanks Andy

First Name
    Bobby

im not trying to scare you, just inform you of the possibilities with multiple pumps.

you could always run your overflow lines to the fuge, drill the fuge toward the bottom on one of the sides, and run some PVC or flex hose from it to behind or through the stand and let it naturally flow down to the sump. then have the pump shoot it back up to the main tank from there. if you dont understand what i mean let me know and i will try to draw it out for ya.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Something to consider when designing any sort of sump system is the amount of overflow you need, just in case you lose power to the return pump. The lowest tank should have enough empty room to absorb the entire system above it. The best way to determine how much room you need, is to fill the main tank to its "normal" but only allow the minimum in the sump in order to run the pump. Mark the water in the sump then turn off the pump. The water in the tank and pipes will drain to the point where the water is below the drain hole. Now mark the new water level in the sump. The differance between the two lines is tha minimum amount of room you should leave empty just in case the pump fails for what ever reason. I would add a little just to be safe. Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last