[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Removing center brace?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Removing center brace?

I'm looking at 2 tanks. 46 bowfront and a 56 cube. Both have a center brace. Is it possible to remove the center brace without compromising the tanks integrity?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Agree with Chris!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

You could always cut out the center brace and use plastic screws and replace the old one w/ clear acrylic to go in its place, just in case you wanted it replaced for lightings sake.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    I wouldn't especially on the 46g bowfront.... I know of a couple that have blown out with the brace fully intact

If you want a tank without the center brace your best bet is to have one made.... properly.
    Unfortunately I'm not in a position financially to have a tank made special just for me.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I would use a wider and flatter piece of acrylic, but heres a pic of how its commonly done-

SUC50742 - Removing center brace?
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Are you thinking you don't want the center brace because of tank access or shadows?

I'm not sure how Sir Patrick's brace would help with either of those...seems like there would still be a shadow from the brace...maybe less of one? That looks like a decent solution to deal with a broken brace though.

I would never want to take the brace off once the tank is full for fear of it breaking...so the idea of a removable brace doesn't (in my mind) seem like a good idea.

(BTW- Moved thread to Basics in "Tanks, Sumps & Refugiums")

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

At least 2 of you have forgotten where I live But if either of you know of anyone here in the Marquette area that could build me a custom tank, with stand for say $350 then by all means point me in their direction.....I'll be waiting but won't be holding my breath Thanks for the suggestions though

@Jim: I am concerned that the center brace would hinder the light of a Pendant, if I were to use one I'm also wondering why my 26 doesn't have one. It is the same depth as the 46. I'm also curious as to what is meant by a *euro style brace*?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Too bad you weren't on this a month ago... I could have had it delivered most of the way with family going to the UP for da deer, eh?

Marineland makes a 40 cube that is pretty nice...I think they stock it at Preuss. Still could send it up tomorrow morning with my father in law. They're over by Manistique I think.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Too bad you weren't on this a month ago... I could have had it delivered most of the way with family going to the UP for da deer, eh?

Marineland makes a 40 cube that is pretty nice...I think they stock it at Preuss. Still could send it up tomorrow morning with my father in law. They're over by Manistique I think.
    Wonderful offer Jim but I've got many obstacles. First and foremost the moneys won't be available to me til tax return. But if I did have the funds right now.....my Jeep is broke down and in need of repair first I have a gift card to PetSmart for $200 which is the beginning of my new build, hence my looking at the MarineLand Euro Style 46 bowfront or the 56 cube.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last