[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Replacing LR?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Replacing LR?

As most of you know my LR is being overrun with shrooms. So I'm thinking of slowly replacing the LR with new dry Pukani.
    Can this be done without causing any major issues? Of course I would cure it before adding to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I don't think that would be a problem. Just go slow and you won't notice a thing.

There are a lot of reefers that would love to have your problem!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    As most of you know my LR is being overrun with shrooms. So I'm thinking of slowly replacing the LR with new dry Pukani.
    Can this be done without causing any major issues? Of course I would cure it before adding to the tank.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just don't let the shrooms grow on the new rock!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks guys

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

I would be careful about removing rocks that have been buried in your sand bed for a while, unless you have been vacuuming your sand bed regularly.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I will throw my .02 in if that is ok. I would suggest you replace it all at once! Let me explain this while you pick your jaw up off the floor! Lol if it was me I would cycle all the new rock in a tub,use an enzyme like enzyme 9. Do water changes the whole nine yards! When your seeing good levels and hopefully some purple stuff set up a QT and transfer everything you want to keep into the QT. ! Then save a small amount of your present sand. Remove the infested rock and sand from your tank and do your thing. Use the small amount of old sand to seed your new sand bed! Once you get the sand,rock scape and new water in add the enzyme additive and cycle the tank. You know the rest. You need to replace the sand as well as the rock to lose the mushrooms.Well that was more like .03 but any way that is what I would do. Good luck. Or you can do your new build then transfer it then. You need to PM me an e mail so I can scan the drawings and send them to ya! I am almost done with them and your new cube is going to be sweet!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Replacing LR?

Wasn't planing on removing any rock that sits on the SB. Only the rock on top. Which is where the majority of shrooms are. And I would only be doing 1 rock at a time.
    My new build is still several months away (maybe more) and until then I've gotta look at my tank as is, which is very very hard
    @binford4000 I plan on using all new rock for the new upgrade Dry Pukani of course. Only this time I've got bigger/better idea's on scaping.

On a side note I can probably trade you clean rocks for your shroom infested rocks... LOL
    Home of JimsReef!

sigbanner001 - Replacing LR?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by 2FarNorth View Post
    On a side note I can probably trade you clean rocks for your shroom infested rocks... LOL

For real? You know how to get ahold of me