[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rock Flower Anemone - Where should I Place it?

Bookmark and Share
    that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Cool Rock Flower Anemone - Where should I Place it?

So at first someone told me that you should Place Rock Flower Anemones on the Sand Bed and then it will Bury its Foot in the Sand and will be Happy and Stay Put.

Well I was at the Frag Swap today and all 3 People that were Selling Rock Flower Anemones said to put it on a Rock for it to be most Happy.

One Dealer said to turn of the Flow, Put it on the Rock, and Hold it there for 20 Seconds and it should Stick and not Move after that.

He said that there is a "Sand Anemone" version which are the Less Colorful Brown Variety that like the Sand but the Nice Colorful Red Rocks that people sell at Shows like to be on Rocks (Hence the name Rock Anemone).

Is this true?

Where should they be Placed?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

On the rock!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    On the rock!
    The Reason I asked this was I originally wanted to upgrade my 10 Gallon (with Sand) that it currently is in to a 30 Gallon Frag Tank (30 X 18 X 12) with No Sand.

I was going to use the Same Kessil A150 that is on the 10 Gallon currently and the same Power Heads.

So all I would need to add is more Live Rock and buy the Tank itself saving me a bunch of money on New Lights.

I had it all Planned out and then remembered I had Rock Nems in the 10 Gallon and I am trying to do away with Sand so I do not have to Vacuum it as it saving me time on Weekly Water Changes.

So I felt a Barebottom Sandless Tank would Stress them out and possibly kill them.

My Tanks are all Full and I need a new Frag Tank so I figured I could "kill two birds with one stone" and upgrade the current 10 to a 30 and then have 1 less Tank but more room for Incoming Coral.

But once I thought about the Sand it stopped my Plans.

After talking to the Dealers at the Swap I went back to my Original Plan to Upgrade the 10 Gallon but with no Sand.

So do you all agree that this would be a good idea?

If so I will Order my New Tank (30 Gallon Bare Bottom) tomorrow.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds like a great plan!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

depends on how deep the sand bed is, i ahve 2-3" sand beds and all 5 of my rock flowers have never moved

First Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    depends on how deep the sand bed is, i ahve 2-3" sand beds and all 5 of my rock flowers have never moved
    Do you think it is a Bad Idea to Have No Sand Bed at all?

I want to put mine in a 30 Gallon Frag Tank that is Bare Bottom.

Could that stress them out and kill them because they will have No Sand?

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i have sand in my frag tanks. if you want bare bottom i would put some shallow tupperware containers in the tank with crushed coral or sand in them and put the nems in that.

First Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    i have sand in my frag tanks. if you want bare bottom i would put some shallow tupperware containers in the tank with crushed coral or sand in them and put the nems in that.
    That is a great idea.

Thanks for the tip.

I will do that.

pi-eyed - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I put mine on a rock in the substrate. He wandered around the rock a little and stayed put..

Here he is:

0401041013b zps6e6c2e04 - Rock Flower Anemone - Where should I Place it?

---Chris