[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

power outage and filter is dead

Bookmark and Share

Default power outage and filter is dead

Got home from one night away and my fluval is dead. It wasn't spinning and when I unplugged it the unit was very hot. I know, I know, before any of you tell me how bad a fluval is and how I should really be running a real sump let me explain, it's only a 50 gallon tank and money has been tight. So I've been running this Fluval 303 that I got for $30 from a fish store that was clearing out the "old" model when the 304 became the new thing. It's only about a year old. I've got the head unit in the freezer right now to bring the temp down and hopefully shrink the impeller enough to remove it (did I forget to mention the impeller is frozen in it's little hole?). I don't think the impeller will spin again so my question:

Can you force feed a fluval with the impeller out (or even in for that matter) with a decent power head style pump????

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sounds like you burnt the motor up. I had that happen on a power head that was out of the water to long. I am not familiar with fluval at all but your probably better off just getting a replacement motor instead of jiggin something up IMO.

they don't sell new motors for these. They sell new impellers but I was barely able to get the old one out and it still looks new.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Shoot sirpat a PM or email, I think he had one of those on his old FW setup and may have more info for you.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you have a electrical motor repair shop close to you Thea may have something that will replace it.
    But sometimes the repair on a older or discontinued equipment is more then new.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

I would think that a pump with similar flow, even if it were a x number of feet a way, would work the same way, if the impeller weren't in the way to reduce flow, as when the unit's integral pump were supplying the flow. I have to say that I've never seen the guts of one of these, but as long as the pump is just there to provide flow, what's the difference if it's "up stream" from the filter as long as the output is close to the integral pump?

Just a thought me and my buddy Jack thought up during the wee hours of the morning.

Think glad fur speed chick
    We can\'t stop here. This is bat country!

Dan