[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rock for my Aquarium

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

Default Rock for my Aquarium

I'm not new to saltwater but I have been out of it for about a year. I'm getting a 29 gallon Biocube HQI, I was wondering what kind of rock to go with. In all of my previous systems I have used nothing but Figi Live Rock. After talking to several people and doing some research I have come across BRS Dry Rock (BRS Dry Rock for Aquariums - English). I would just like to get some opinions from hobbists other than those doing the product reviews online.

rcombs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rickie

i dont have any yet, but i am a fan of tonga branch. larry and laurra have it in their tank, and i must say it looks awesome. search for their thread and they have some pics on the one that says larryandlaurras ocean. def a future addition to my tank.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Glad to hear you are getting a tank setup again!

Wish I had some info for you on the BRS rock.

What are you planning on keeping in there?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Personally (cause I have it in my tank) I love the dry Pukani that BRS has to offer. Porous, with ton's of nooks and crannys. It seems to coraline up very quick also. 9 months and mine is totally covered.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

AJ- I'm thinking of having an anemone in there (not sure what kind yet but probably a BTA) I want to keep both hard corals and soft corals, maybe even a clam :P
    Jamie- how is your population of amphipods and other little inverts in your tank? I really like the coloring of coraline algae so that is a plus. (Is your coraline just pink or does it have some of the purple and red included). Also when you started up your tank did you use some sort of start-up chemicals? I have a bottle of MicroBacter7 from Brightwell Aquatics that I could use to start up the natural bacteria in the system (Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7). Sorry for all of the questions I just want to set this up right :D.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I cooked my rock for 2 weeks in a rubber made bin first, then added it to my tank. I seeded it using SeaChem Stability. Awesome product IMO. I have plenty of pods! My coraline is purple/red/green and pink.

4/2011
    IMG 0734 - Rock for my Aquarium

Today
    IMG 1527 - Rock for my Aquarium

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hey Kev, I really like the BRS Pukani like I showed you, yo could cook it like miz suggested.
    Also, I got you covered for the BTA

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

WOW, Jamie that looks great! I think that I will definately have to go with the BRS dried rock. How long after the rock was "cooked" were you able to add fish? Thankfully I have plenty of rubbermade containers lol :P. My next question would be is this rock sold at any local LFS? (I'll probably have to do some hunting now)

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

2 weeks of daily testing-never had a spike of any kind. I moved everything from my 8g into the new tank. 3 fish-softies and LPS. Haven't lost a thing never a spike!
    I went with the dry clean Pukani mainly because of the look, weight it being lighter then most LR and NO unwanted pest!!

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

Well sounds like that is the way to go, did you buy yours online or at a LFS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last