[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rookie need help it appears to be ICH

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I agree if you have corals I would not do anything to the main display. Quarantine is your best bet. How long have you had the quarantine tank? You need to make sure it is stable before you add a bunch of fish. Even then in a 40 gallon to go from no fish to how ever many you plan to put in there could cycle that tank again and put the fish at greater risk. Are all of your fish still eating? I would use Thera A pellets. It is a chemical free anti-parasitic food. I have had Marine ICH (MI) before and I actually floated a mesh bag with Garlic Cloves in it. The water will start to smell like Garlic but it helped me keep appetite up. Cleaner Shrimp will help the fish feel better but does not remove the MI from the system. I have read numerous scientific studies on MI and I believe if you do not add additional hosts to the tank for 8 to 12 months the MI will cycle out. MI can only cycle so many times without new hosts to feed. You can also have MI in you tank and never know it if all of your fish are healthy and stress free.

FWIW I tried quarantine (4) different times over 10 years in my old FOWLR 55g. Every fish I tried to quarantined died. Every time I went back to just acclimating into DT and haven't had a fish die since. People get mad at me and say it's not right but I was just sick of killing fish. I truly feel quarantine is best but they don't work for me. Here is a link to the most comprehensive MI information I have ever seen. It is a 3-4 part article and is very long but lots of good info.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
    Likes yarddart95 liked this post

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

+1 to what Jim said.

CR Member

Thumbs up Great advise!!

Thanks Jason the quarintine tank is in the copper stage! Plan on testing Copper ppm in the morning and start trying to move fish over! I notice the parasites more in the morning under the actinic led lights. keep me up to date on how your ICH issue is going and in the same I have several months of work ahead of me and will keep the team up to date. I noticed you are from Grand Rapids, MI I work for Artiflex Mfg. ( former ITS in Grand Rapids MI) I work in Wooster Oh at the Artiflex Gerstco division and spend quite a bit of time in Grand Rapids working with the Team on upcoming OE automotive programs. I enjoy GR alot, plenty of pubs and things to do year round.

Thanks again Jes

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Default Rookie need help it appears to be ICH

My current tank build thread is here. Jason's 240g Miracles

It was a PIA with the fish I had
    2 yellow tang, purple tang, tomini tang, powder blue tang, 2 pairs clowns, 2 alage belennies, 5 wrasse, 5 Bangaii cardinals. I used a 40g breeder, 20g, 29g for the 10 day treatment. Had to change water every 2-3 days, the hob and sponge filters were not established long enough to take that bioload. Dosed seachem stability bacteria also. If your ever in area and want to check it out send a pm.
    Also don't use ammonia remover/detoxifier with copper it can be toxic.
    240 gal. Miracles, 3x 1.5" Beananimal overflow, 60 gal. Frag tank, 120 gal sump. Skimmer: SRO XT5000 EXT, Return Pump: Reeflow Hammerhead Gold Hybrid. Reef Dynamic Biopellet reactor, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor. Lights: 9x AI Sol Blue. Controller: Apex, 40 gal QT

CR Member

The fish all appear to be eating great. I feed omega brine and Mycide shrimp, with occasional flakes. The 40g QTank has ben up about a week so Iam alittle reluctant to start putting the fish in yet. The amount of white spots ( ICH) does not seem to be getting worst but since the Tang has only been in the tank for a week the ICH may not have started a cycle yet. It has been 3 days now and the Tang had the most and yesterday the 2 juvenille Damsels started showing a few ICH on them. Hanging tight and being patient and really watching eating habits, scratching and amount of white spots for a couple more days. I been taking pictures of the Tang day by day to aid in watching his progress. Jason the next time Iam in town I will pm you.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2