[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Salt ?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Salt ?

Is there a big difference in quality between manufactures of salt? Best value?

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

yes there is a big difference in quality...I am against instant ocean because its about the worst salt you can get. I use Bio-Sea marinemix very good salt levels turn close to the ocean and minimizes dosing efforts.
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

There is a difference. I use seachem or reef crystals. I do 20% water changes weekly. So I have great water quality. There is no need for me to buy vitality or any other premium brand.

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Reef crystals has always giving me good parameters.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I personally use Reef Crystals. Have been for over 2 years. It's been a very consistent mix for me. I cannot speak on any other mix as I've not tried them. This chart gives you an idea of what to look for when choosing your salt mix, hope it helps

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/pla...Primary-El.htm
    Last edited by MizTanks; 06-30-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

reef crystals is alright it will get you through but you still need to dose more and usually ends up costing more than a premium mix. I know my work is one of the few if not only that has biosea in michigan. It brings my calcium to 440 with out dosing. anyways heres the chart of 2 test compared to average sea water.
    http://aquacraft.net/w0002.html
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice BK, I think I will try something new.

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

I have also been using Instant Ocean since I started and have no issues at all...

Biosea Salt Mix: 50 gal. size, each $29.49

Instant Ocean 50G bag, each $9.99

I'll stick with the IO for now.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

+1 Cable Guy

Prices aside. What are the best salt mixes? I believe their all sufficient for what their made for. As for dosing? Personally I don't dose because my salt lacks (Reef Crystals) for anything. I dose to *maintain* those levels that are most important to my live stock and because I've no desire to do wc's every day.

My answer for the OP is this. Reef Crystal is the best salt for your money.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

SYBON.
    I do a 10% change weekly and its forgiving. It has to have some time released stuff in it. They figured something out.Acan's,zoa's, duncan's and mushrooms. I LOVE THIS STUFF.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i use brightwell, i used reef crystals and tropic marin for some time with bad results and fluctuations and now that i have switched to using brightwell all of the problems i was having were fixed. it is a little bit more expensive anywhere from $20-$35 per bag (50g mix) depending on where you buy it or $50-$65 per bucket (150g mix) depending on where you buy it. pet connection in livonia has the cheapest price for brightwell, $20 per bag or $50 per bucket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last