[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Salt Choice

Bookmark and Share
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default Salt Choice

Looking to use a better quality salt for my tank this time around. I've heard a lot about Salinity by AquaVitro, Red Sea Coral Pro, and Neo Marine by Brightwell. Please share your experiences with all of these salts as I'm interested to hear what worked for you!
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Thanks Chris, thats what I've used in the past. I don't dislike it, its just something I'm taking into consderation again. I most likely will be dosing anyway. Yes it is hard to find the AquaVitro salt I've noticed.
    Last edited by ETBReefer05; 07-28-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I switched from Reef Crystals to Bio Actif. I will never go back best salt IMO. Also salinity is a great salt.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

As many know, we have always used RC, and have produced some of the most beautiful corals, ever. As the great American philosopher, Ann Landers said, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke"

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I used RC for over 15 years. Then started to see Alk issues with it. Onetime it would be 8 Dkh then the next bucket would be 18 Dkh. Switched to Neo Marine and man what a difference !!!! I wouldn't use RC if you gave it to me with cash on top of it !! The Salinty salt is very solid and constant also. So with that said here's my honest input. If you plan to dose go with a little better salt like Neo,Salinty,ESV . If your going to count on water changes alone RC will work just fine just test it before you dump it in your tank.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Alright you have me puzzled here.... I thought one of the big perks many were trying to claim with these other "better" salts was that they didn't need to dose so it balanced out price wise. I know stability was another of the claims which makes more sense then the no more need to dose but you stated it backwards from my understanding of the "salt wars" so I am curious now.... just for the sake of being curious lol.
    No need to dose?? I find that hard to believe. As our corals grow they consume more. This is my take on the war of the salt. First and most important I look for consistant levels when I mix up a new batch. If the bucket says this and my testing shows the same I am a happy camper. This is where it helps with doaseing,if you have a stable base it makes it much easier to replace the consumed elements in your system. I like the high calcium levels of RC but since changeing hands the Alk is all over the place from bucket to bucket. This is why I changed to Neo. It was very frustrating to keep my levels from swinging with RC. Neo is very stable and have yet to find it out of whack in close to five years now. We test our fresh mix and we test the tank before we do our water changes. This way I know if the dosers need to be adjusted. It would be great if a salt could end the need to dose. The only way I can see that is if you have a very low coral load or just FWLR. But where would be the fun in that! Lol. I can see if you use the ESV salt you could adjust your Alk and Ca to the consumption rate of your corals but man that would be expensive and very time consuming .

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

I would believe they have gotten the alk issue corrected by now. It has been awhile since I used RC. Firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it so I have not used RC since going to Neo. I have been very pleased with Britwells products. They cost slightly more but do work as advertised which is hard to find in this hobby. I did get an E mail from some executive when I was haveing the Alk issue that suggested rolling the bucket around on the floor to mix it. Didn't really believe It tell Manoj suggested the same. I think the better you store any of the salts the better your results will be. God knows Britwells lids are a PITA to get off !! And yes I buy the buckets one skid at a time. Anyone need some empty five gallon buckets??? Lol
    Likes N/A liked this post