[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

salt wars

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default salt wars

I've been battling salt for a month now.Well not exactly the salt but the alk levels that freshly mixed salt water has.I started my system with red sea pro which gave a consitant 9.3 dkh.But as growth and introduction of more coral it was dificult to maintain useing pickle lime.So it was time to change,I then went to reef crystal's which at first was mixing at 10 dkh roughly so went that way for a few months and sevral buckets later noticed a serious change to very high alk levels 13 dkh to 18 dkh depending on the bucket.With addition of 2 part doaseing my alk levels began to jump all over the place.So I turned the doaser off thinking I'm just going to fast with the toy's and let the corals bring it down.Sounded good to me.I kept my auto water changes going(3.5 gal a day) and tested every day then bought more kits to double and triple check the first kit.Alk still swang from 9 dkh to as high as 12 dkh in the tank.I have now switched to britewell and am happy to announce four days later and six test's later am now recording 8 dkh alk and 440 ppm Ca.So far so good and that's with running the doaser at 50 ml of each part a day.So what am I getting at?? Has anyone else experienced issues similar to this or am I alone?? Thought maybee shareing the problems and solutions might help others.These are my new levels as of twenty minuates ago.

Alk 8.0 dkh
    Ca 440 ppm
    No2 0 ppm
    No3 0 ppm
    Ph 8.2
    Mag 1400
    Amonia 0
    Lets hear them war story's
    Last edited by binford4000; 03-08-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo's,lots of typo's lol

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I havnt had that issue....yet- knock on wood!

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

I've tried them all and read the surveys with interest. Quite frankly, when you get right down to it, consistency is the key. Get a salt you are happy with and use it consistently. You know what you need to dose to keep levels where they need to be and stick with it.

henry hill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I havnt had that issue....yet- knock on wood!
    What salt are you using?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default one full week

Well it's been a complete week now and all levels have stayed stable with exception of typical slight Ph swing dependent on the time of test during the lite cycle.So far I'm very impressed with the Britewell brand of salt and am starting to believe their claims of consitance in production testing. Just mt .02 tho

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I like this chart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MizTanks; 03-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

cool chart miz.Well it's been close to three weks and the alk is still rock solid at 8.0 dkh and the calcium has maintained a steady 440ppm.Good bye RC.I am seeing much better color and extension now and if all stay's well I will switch the wives tank over to this salt also.Time will tell tho,I will update at the month mark.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I like this chart.
    Ok I think I am missing something what are they comparing those brands on the chart to?

Brightwells stuff I have used seems to work great so its good to hear the salt is good too. Hows pricing and availabilty on the brightwells salt?
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

It's about 10 bucks more then RC from what I have seen.It's just as available on line also as other salts

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm View Post
    Ok I think I am missing something what are they comparing those brands on the chart to?

Brightwells stuff I have used seems to work great so its good to hear the salt is good too. Hows pricing and availabilty on the brightwells salt?
    Comparing them to each other sounds good. That's what I got from it anyway.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last