[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Salt Water Storage

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default Salt Water Storage

OK so I am using BRUTE containers for Salt Water and RO/DI storage. The RO/DI storage is fine but my Salt Water Storage bin is getting a Redish Brown thin Slime on the inside? I have a small pump in there to keep it stirred and a heater to keep it around the same temp as the tank. I am getting what looks like Diatom Algae on the substrate in my tank and now I am wondering if that is the cause? The Salt Water Storage has a lid so it gets no light. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to prevent it? I have only had these starage bins for maybe 4-5 months.

First Name
    John

Yes I use RC

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pinhigh1886 View Post
    Yes I use RC
    I use RC also and only twice in 2yrs has the *brown film* happened while mixing. At first I was freaked but no harm has ever come to my tank. I've been told its nothing dangerous
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ballhog - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

I can't remember the brand of my salt, but on the instructions it says if the salt is mixed to fast you will see a film. So I would not dump all the salt in the mixing container at once, but slowly add the salt. I have also heard if the water is really cold you need to add the salt slower.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ballhog View Post
    I can't remember the brand of my salt, but on the instructions it says if the salt is mixed to fast you will see a film. So I would not dump all the salt in the mixing container at once, but slowly add the salt. I have also heard if the water is really cold you need to add the salt slower.
    Great to know! Thanks as I'm guilty of doing the exact opposite lol

First Name
    John

I have a power head in the container and a heater. It is at 79 Degrees. I would say of the 20 gallon tub there is only 15 gallons. I will use 4-5 gallons at a time and then let it fill back up. When it does I add salt to make up for the 4-5 gallons of fresh RODI added. My meter is hooked up to the RO/DI and is showing (0) TDS. Could TDS appear in the container if no TDS were added? Come to think of it my RO/DI resin about a month or so back got used up and turned brown from Purple but not all the way. I checked and it said 1 ppm on the meter so I changed it out. It has been back to (0) for over a month now but I wonder if that is how it got in? I am sure I have used all of the water that is in there but maybe the TDS got into the container and is still in there? That could explain my light brown algae in a few spots on the substrate in the DT. HMMM. I will clean the container tonight and start over!! Man just filled it. I hate to waste 15 gallons of saltwater. Maybe I'll get a TDS meter first and check it. Then clean it after I use up the 15 gallons? Or is that a bad idea?

First Name
    John

I guess that makes sense. Salt is a disolved solid. What does Salt Water read on a TDS meter do you know?

CR Member
    First Name
    David

When I used a Brute can until I tested the water and found it leached a ton of PO4 into the storage water.
    Better off using potable containers for storage. Brut is good for a quick mix and use

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Places like GFS (where I got mine) or Sam's Club are able to order *Food Grade* containers with air tight lids. I love mine! They have gallon/liter measurements on them

CR Member
    First Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Places like GFS (where I got mine) or Sam's Club are able to order *Food Grade* containers with air tight lids. I love mine! They have gallon/liter measurements on them
    GFS is a great place as is Restaurant Depot will have them in stock as well.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last