[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

saltwater aquarist ethics

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Default saltwater aquarist ethics

okayyyyyyy..........being new to this wonderful ....more than to be hobby, it would be very easy to accidentally do the wrong thing...ive done it 3 times now, that i know..... fortunately nothing has died yet because of my ignorance. what im wondering is, "Is there a moral code of ethics in this hobby, and what would the list contain?" and should the list be posted for all to see as newbies probably are a given everyday?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I moved your thread over to the Reefkeeping discussion area...great topic!

What types of things are you referring to? Are you thinking ecological or husbandry or...? Maybe an example to start us off?

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Code of Ethics

Regarding the wise husbandry and management of animals within our care, I think that as a minimal premise, we all have an ethical obligation to help save our coral reefs by propogation of corals in our systems, to protect our natural resources and to establish in-house breeding programs to assist with conservation efforts in the wild.

Our role is to provide the very best care for the animals that share this planet Earth that we have chosen to inhabit our slice of the ocean. We have a moral obligation to keep our animals healthy as best we possibly can but also, if our reef systems and animals are not well cared for, healthy and exhibited well, they will negate the messages we are trying to convey.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I moved your thread over to the Reefkeeping discussion area...great topic!

What types of things are you referring to? Are you thinking ecological or husbandry or...? Maybe an example to start us off?
    well jim....for instance...there is a question about animals in copper water which i guess would be husbandry....another about "should we be removing critters from the ocean....which would be ecology, " how about lfs willing to sell a jellyfish kinda knowing that it will probably get stuck in a filter? i mean there has to be ethics..right?

maybe this thread should read," husbandry ethics of reef keeping"

the reason for this posting is being a newbie at reefkeeping it is very very easy to get in over your head....and fail the husbandry test. this stuff is so glamourous and can quickly become an obsession,,,,and with nobody physically checking out your ecology and relying on cr or google via pc its a wonder these reefs make it past cycling. dont get me wrong cr is GREAT ! it will help me out loads and the few friends i have talked to at my lfs have steered me well.

this is a serious topic for we all have an obligation to ensure the safety and well being of the critters we possess
    should i repost?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

What did you do wrong? Where you in a rush? Not changing your water?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Our animals should thrive not survive. Providing them with safe and healthy environment.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    What did you do wrong? Where you in a rush? Not changing your water?
    nothing yet ....no crash.....or anything like that....just this hobby is like an unsatible addiction... and its because of the cool little animals, there personalities, there color, there friendship. and there is always the tugging to stop by the lfs and see if they got something new in....if they do... they usually want to sell there item...without direction to the buyer...theres an assumption that the buyer knows what he or she is doing...and this is absolutely unequivocally wrong with a newbie with a few bucks to spend. when i walk into the lfs i got a 50 dollar bill or less to spend it would be nice to get husbandry ethic from them ...........the trop has been excellent in this area.....another place sold me a mandarin telling me it will eat mysis...and it will....without telling me that pods are his usual diet. he finally began eating it after about 4 days to a week.....now that was like prison for my little friend....throwing him in a cell and feeding him bologna when he wants steak.... i think. i now have pods growing and bought him some pods to eat....but my tank wont be estblished for 6 months.