[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

scum on surface

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default scum on surface

I have let my tank go too **** ! I was busy putting a deck and siding on and all I did was add kalk to the tank. I got a major dose of red slime algae ,it is about 1/2 cured through water changes, and I replaced my flourescent tubes thinking it was a light spectrum change. I still have some red algae,and there is a layer of something on the surface that clogs the overflows. It is kind of a solid crust like excess calcium, but my cal level is only 425-450. The pump in the sump looks like it is blowing out air bubbles but whatever they are is the cause of the problem I believe? Anyone have any ideas?

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would imagine that if you just continued to drip kalk, without periodical check of water parameters, that you have an ionic imbalance in your water. More specifically, between your alk, calcium and probably ph which is resulting in an inordinate amount of calcium carbonate precipitation in your system.

First and foremost, continue with fractional water changes and siphon the cyano during said changes.

Remove, clean and replace your pumps. They are probably all grunged up with precip. I'll bet you a buck that once you clean it, you'll see better flow and less microbubbles in your returning water.

Now that you've changed out a LOT of water, test the water for all params again and see what it is you are facing. Drip kalk only at a rate that covers your evaporation rate and ensure that you are "balanced" with hardness etc.

Use a powerhead facing upwards to create a chop on the water surface for better gas exchange.

Incorporate a surface skimmer into your overflows if you can't keep up with the surface scum, but the surface agitation should help.

Dave
    ><((((

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default scum on surface

Thanks for your input. It makes sense, any clues on how too clean the pumps. I was thinking about doing a 2o% water change and while the system was down, throw the skimer pump and the main pump into a gallon of white vinegar for 1/2 an hour and then let them clear out for 1/2 hour in RO water. Do you think that would work ,or should I just buy new pumps?

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Actually, you don't need to do much. Depending on the pumps you have, you should be able to remove a couple/few screws and access the impellor parts. THAT is where you will see the precip built up. I just use hot water and my hands for the most part. You really don't want to scratch the magnets etc. or it will become a prime growing area for more "gunk".

Again, just disassemble the pump, remove the magnetic impellor shaft etc., clean well and replace. No worries about the outside of the pump unless it is truly nasty. Some smallish tube worms or sponge etc. will not be a problem. If you have TONS of growth on the outside, it could cause heat issues.

Dave
    ><((((

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

for what it is worth, i run ALL of my pumps for 1 hour every month in a 10 gallon tank of 75% water and 25% white vinegar. then i run them for another hour in plain RO water (to rinse) for another hour or so. it is kinda like a bath for them.

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Thanks for the help guys . I think I will buy 2 new pumps too replace the old ones, and try to clean out the old ones. That way I should have a spare of everything.Do you guys know where I can get 175 watt 20k metal halides and a couple ballast just in case.With a couple extra pumps and a ballast or two, and lamps and ballast, I would be set. The tubes are HQI tubes. Thanks,
    Andy

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

everyone loves ebay