[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Setting up my 75gallon reef + livestock tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    robandrosco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob

Default Setting up my 75gallon reef + livestock tank

Well So far I have acquired a 75 gallon long tank. 2 aquaUFO LED lights, A 50 gallon refugium. A CS Overflow (800 gph). Rio 2100 return pump. and all the necessary plumbing to get it together. Got a bucket of NeoMarine reef salt as well.

Here's my questions.

As far as a protein skimmer goes.. I have no clue about these.. I know they remove waste from your tank and help with clarity but I have absolutely no clue what type, brand, or size that I will need. I want it to be in my refugium (on the intake side right?)

When should I add live rock and live sand? I was going to fill the tank with regular water and run it for a day or 2 to make sure I have no leaks, then drain and make my salt water.. Is that the point where i should add my LR and LS?

What is the best way to cut acrylic? I'm going to be making my own lids for this tank.

Will be posting more questions once I get past these.

Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions.
    Last edited by robandrosco; 12-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Doing a water test is a good idea. Once you drain it add the rock and sand and mixed waterProtein skimmers are pretty much a must if you plan to keep fish for sure and always helpful to coral also. It is best to try and vision what your wanting to accomplish and then set your budget and then shop and read as much as you can about the ones you like. Then make your choice! Many people sell on the forums which can save you a ton f you know what ya want.

Acrylic and PVC can be cut several ways . You can use a table saw,jig saw,circular saw,band saw.glass cutters,utility blade and they also sell cutters made just for the task at hand. God luck!

You might want to look into a mesh top 29 Biocube Mesh Top Project

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

First Name
    Rob

Thanks fellas will look into doing a mesh top for sure.. Any reason in particular to use mesh?

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

I got a bunch of live rock, dry ocean rock and some base rock i could sell u cheap. PM me if u would like to get some.

First Name
    Rob

Thanks sky I may just take you up on that!

I am having an issue with my setup tho..

My overflow is *gasping* for air and sending a ton of bubbles to my refugium. This is a freshwater leak test btw.

Here's the overflow level.
    th IMAG0600 - Setting up my 75gallon reef + livestock tank

Here's how its plumbed.
    th IMAG0599 - Setting up my 75gallon reef + livestock tank

Could my pump not be supplying enough flow? Even with one side of my drain shut off completely I have the same issue.

First Name
    Rob

Well I've managed to make it stop *gasping* by opening the other side of my drain... Still getting bubbles tho.. not sure if this is normal?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by robandrosco View Post
    Well I've managed to make it stop *gasping* by opening the other side of my drain... Still getting bubbles tho.. not sure if this is normal?
    Installing a dorso down tube will help that problem. If you goto YouTube there's lots of videos on it

Here's a link. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PHxP2Oqe6U

First Name
    Rob

installed a dorso in my overflow WORKED !!! for the gasping sound atleast.. Now I have turbulence in my drain lines. any way to address this? Maybe I am just over reacting to every noise I hear...

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by robandrosco View Post
    installed a dorso in my overflow WORKED !!! for the gasping sound atleast.. Now I have turbulence in my drain lines. any way to address this? Maybe I am just over reacting to every noise I hear...
    Reduce the pipe size going from the tank to the fuge should do the trick or you could put a valve inline so you can adjust the drain to stop the surge. Down side to the valve is snails and stuff can get stuck in them. So if you add a valve use unions so you can remove and clean it out from time to time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last