[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmers bad for nano tanks?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Skimmers bad for nano tanks?

I read an article the other day about skimmers being bad for nano tanks. Reasons given are, they quickly kill off the pod population, and removing to much of the nutrients. What say you all? I'll find the article and post the link later
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

SaltyDog - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Martin

It actually varies with the size and what the bio-load is like.....if you have an overstocked nano tank than yeah it's a good idea to have one.Even if it's not stocked to the max you can run one maybe once or twice a week to help remove the surface proteins.But for a non-highly stocked tank i'd just go with the mechanical filtration.
    Got ink????Go big or go home......

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I recall a tank of the past, that ran skimmerless, and had so many pods they were irritating the corals in the tank. Too much disolved organics/nutrients.

I cant say I have seen a tank that was healthy lacking pods, even with the biggest best top of the line skimmers. Nanos included.

I dont beleive there is such a thing as "removing to much of the nutrient", there is a reason we feed our tanks.

What goes in must be used or removed. Without a skimmer, it just breaks down into the stuff that will cause your tank to be dirty and depending on how you feed, possibly polluted.

I wouldnt be able to feed the way I do without a good skimmer.

Link to this artical? I am interested in seeing what else it might have to say....

I guess if someone is starving their tank, dissolved nutrient and pod poulation can suffer, but hopefully, for the animals in our glass boxes sakes, no one is doing that.

Nano-Newb1983 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

i have had my nano for many years now without a skimmer, and im not seeing any issues at all.

IMO it wouldnt hurt much to have one tho, i just keep up on cleaning tank, waterchanges, and changing filter floss and that every few days
    8NodG - Skimmers bad for nano tanks?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Would upping water changes not remove the excess nutrients? My main concern is/was placing the skimmer in such a small fuge such as mine. Leaves me scrambling for alternatives

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Some folks feel skimmers are not necessary. I agree with the info. Sir Patrick and SaltyDog have provided. I'll add that a skimmer-less tank usually has a deep sand bed, a very low bioload, and avoids species that require pristine water conditions. Personally, I feel a skimmer is a must (unless you plan to do frequent water changes, minimal feeding, and not keep SPS and other such sensitive species).

Here's my recent experience... My skimmer pump failed a few months ago and I thought "I'll try going skimmer-less for awhile. At least until I find a better replacement pump." Well, with a busy summer, not increasing my WC frequency, and keeping the feeding about the same I ended up with the following:

• Nitrate spike (50ppm!)
    • Cyanobacteria outbreak
    • tissue necrosis on several SPS (essentially losing a large S. hysterix colony)
    • Bleaching and tissue loss of several LPS

HTH,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 10-17-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fix typo

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

How could be removing to much waste be bad? Cleaner the water usually means better health for our little pieces of the ocean. I have never ran a tank without a skimmer.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Some folks feel skimmers are not necessary. I agree with the info. Sir Patrick and SaltyDog have provided. I'll add that a skimmer-less tank usually has a deep sand bed, a very low bioload, and avoids species that require pristine water conditions. Personally, I feel a skimmer is a must (unless you plan to do frequent water changes, minimal feeding, and not keep SPS and other such sensitive species).

Here's my recent experience... My skimmer pump failed a few months ago and I thought "I'll try going skimmer-less for awhile. At least until I find a better replacement pump." Well, with a busy summer, not increasing my WC frequency, and keeping the feeding about the same I ended up with the following:

• Nitrate spike (50ppm!)
    • Cyanobacteria outbreak
    • tissue necrosis on several SPS (essentially losing a large S. hysterix colony)
    • Bleaching and tissue loss of several LPS

HTH,
    Tom
    I had a similar experience this summer as well. I would never run a tank skimmerless, but that's JMO.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

ok now that you all have totally scared the crap outta me .....I started it back up Now I'm on the hunt for a different skimmer.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dont let thiss information scare you. Running a skimmerless system can be done, if done properly, running a variety of systems.

Good luck with your search for a new skimmer!

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Would still like to see this artical though.....unless it goes much deeper into the subject, that was not shared, it doesnt sound like very well writen information on the hobby. I am looking forward to reading it myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last