[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmers bad for nano tanks?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Dont let thiss information scare you. Running a skimmerless system can be done, if done properly, running a variety of systems.

Good luck with your search for a new skimmer!

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Would still like to see this artical though.....unless it goes much deeper into the subject, that was not shared, it doesnt sound like very well writen information on the hobby. I am looking forward to reading it myself.

Dang! I'm looking an looking and I can't find it...came across it while looking for a new skimmer (3 days ago)...I'll keep trying it did go deeper into keeping nano tanks.
    Last edited by MizTanks; 10-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree that running a skimmer is never a bad idea. It might not be a must for some tanks but it sure makes life easier. Miz you are starting in on sps and they are VERY picky about water quality, not only the quality but consistency as well. For my money any tank with sps should have a skimmer.

I think Eschopps (sp) has a reasonable price hang on back skimmer that would work for you. ATB has a very expensive HOB that would be sweet but too spendy for a nano. I would avoid any of the itty bitty in chamber skimmers, useless has been my experience. Also some people have had good luck with Aqua-Remora skimmers, me, not so much, the one I have is still hanging on my 22g at home. It's shut off until I find a real use for the mj1200 attached to it. Well built and utterly useless, perhaps mine is an anomaly, but it sucks.

Personally I find it funny when people say your as well off without a skimmer. Can you get by with water changes? Sure you can and over time you'll slowly get a little lazy about water changes (human nature, water changes suck). Not to mention that managing nutrient via water changes will, over time, end up more expensive than just getting a skimmer in the first place.

Oh and Miz, are you VERY sure your not ready to just get a bigger tank with a sump and big boy skimmer? At that point a skimmer for the nano would be a waste. Admit it, Miz your going to go bigger sooner than later, lol.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    .....are you VERY sure your not ready to just get a bigger tank with a sump and big boy skimmer? At that point a skimmer for the nano would be a waste. Admit it, Miz your going to go bigger sooner than later, lol.
    Boy isn't that the truth???

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lmao! rmalone your to funny Will def be going bigger some day!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2