[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Someone kill me now......before I kill my tank.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Someone kill me now......before I kill my tank.

Well to add to all the other issues I've been battling lately why not a few more............**** timer broke BRS dosing pump cranked out the alk for 4.5 hours.

Got home from work....tested the tank alk 16,5+ and ph at 9.5. Luckly the tank isn't showing any signs of its near demise..........how long do I have??? What should I do?

Getting ready for a 20-30 gallon water change as we speak.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

that sucks! I would suggest a large water change. that would probably be the right thing to do. if you don't have water, some supermarkets have water machines that would be ok. now what I would do is probably watch it a while until it looked like something bad was happening and if nothing happened I'd be happy. probably not the right thing to do! my calcium doseing pump stuck on an put a gallon of BRS calcium into my 100 gallon tank. lucky enough nothing bad happened. I would be more concerned about Alk cause you can burn your corals.
    good luck! hope all goes well.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Get ready for your water change and try to contact jimsflies or TM01 on Michigan Reefers. They have both overdosed Kalk, and the alkalinity went crazy. If memory serves, you add vinegar which reduces your alkalinity in an emergency. You have to do it slowly, so you may want to do that over several hours before the healthy water change. I also recall them using soda water as one of the solutions to the problem?

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

turn your lights of asap! and do a water change! the lights off will help lower the PH faster.

First Name
    Rob

JIM......WHERE THE **** ARE YOU? IM NOT GOING OVER ON THAT DUMP MR.

Lights have been off for 72 hours trying to rid myself of a little algae issue. I've got 60 gallons of fresh made ready to go. How much you guys think I should do at once?

I don't really feel comfortable waiting to see what happens, by then it would probably be too late......no?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i wouldnt wait man i would do a big water change asap. do it slowly. you don't want to send everything into shock more than it is from the spike.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

I personally would do 20-30% every 2 days for a week and test to see how your lvls are looking

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Slow constant drop should help you. Vinegar will help bring your alk down, it also adds carbon so your algae growth might increase hence, I wouldnt go that route.

Start with 10% water change and then after 4 hrs 20% and then after 4 hrs 30% . This process should help you bring it down slowly.

First Name
    Rob

Surprisingly I don't see any signs of issues with in the tank, fish or corals. I was planning a 15 gallon water change tonight regardless.
    Ill re test in the morning and see whats up. Thanks for the insight guys.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

you said you have 60g of sw ready for a change I would get ready to do up to a 50% water change with one planned for later if needed just make sure your ph and what not in the change water is close to that of the original tank
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last