[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

spot feeding

Bookmark and Share
    RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

Default spot feeding

well as i am still new to the hobbie i was wondering on a topic that i really have not found much info on and that spot feeding as many know i have a flower anem and i was wondering how to spot feed it i have a baster do i put the food in the baster and just squirt it on the anemone? or do i just lay the food on him and hope he eats it? i see the mouth i'm so confused hehe plz help any advice ya can give much thanks

Jim

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

i though you can do either(sp) but small peises .. what untill some one with more nollage ansers ..ok bud
    :: hummer :nemo

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

with anemones you can just give them a thawed chunck of food, they will grab it and eat it themselves, for corals you will want to use a baster and slowy shot it on the animal to allow it to catch everything
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

CR Member

By small chunk of food, think 1/4" - ish. If you put it on the edge it will fold up and put it into it's mouth. You can also try to "nudge" it kind of like you do when spoonfeeding a baby. Touch the fish to it's mouth if it want's it then it will open it's mouth. If it doesn't "say ah" LOL then move the piece to it's outer ring and let it feed it'sef.

BTW you don't have to burp the anemone.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Try feeding 30 min after lights out, and do it with the baster. Make sure you have a very low water flow in the tank at the moment to facilitate feeding the coral. I would try to feed it Liquid Life Marine Plankton at LEAST every other day. I would also make sure it gets very bright light. As you may already know these (flower pot corals) are almost always doomed to a slow death due to its unique necessities. Hope this helps and good luck.

Lots of helpful info on these corals here:

http://www.goniopora.org
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

you will also notice when feeding an anemone that when you feed it a small chunk of something his tentacles will be sticky and it will feel like he grabs what you are giving him. if he shrinks away then he is most likely not hungry so try again later.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH: