Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
How's your softy/LPS transition coming along?

I've gone almost all softies in my nano tank and it now runs on auto pilot. I'm not dosing anything, and do a couple gallon water change every month. While I wouldn't hold my current reef husbandry up as a gold standard, it is nice to be able to go away for a week and not think twice about my tank. The few LPS I keep are bullet proof as well (hammer, bubble coral, and duncan).
Hey Jim,
Well, I transferred some sps colonies over to the other tank to keep 'em safe and I'm still in an sps decline. I was going to wait until I could give 'em to a buddy, but they're not really giveable since they're in such bad shape. In the new year I plan on removing my top layer of LR, killing all the aips, chipping off what's still alive and doing a real cleaning of both the dt and the sump. Depending on how ambitious I am, I might send the fish over to the big tank and really do a breakdown so I can start over.

It's encouraging to hear your's is doing well. It's exactly the reason I'm doing this. Having two tanks can be a drag sometimes and I'd like one to run on auto pilot too so I can really concentrate on the newer one.

Quote Originally Posted by RedfordReefer View Post
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but you were talking about where to get LPS and softies. There's a store on 5-mile and Middlebelt (one mile north of the middlebelt exit on I-96) called Pet Connection. I go there a LOT. At least once every other day. They get shipments in twice a week, and hand-select corals from their suppliers. They are affordable and the staff is very friendly. One of the people I talk to most is named Ken. Real soft-spoken guy with a real passion for saltwater. Ryan is a good guy as well. If you pop in, Ask them about getting you something specific. They have a few Soft-only tanks and some LPS tanks.
I've been going there for years and I agree, they're awesome. I do a sweep of all the wayne county lfs periodically and I always seem to end up there and buy something. Haven't bought corals from them, though and I'll give them a try since I was never looking for softies or lps before. I didn't know they got that many shipments in on a regular basis. They must sell tons! Thanks for the reminder RR.