[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

SPS breakdown/Soft LPS coral in it's place.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default SPS breakdown/Soft LPS coral in it's place.

Thinking seriously about switching from sps to softy and lps. I got the idea first from seeing The Binford's piece of art in the living room that was packed with lps and soft corals, but not too much. I'd like to get close to that, but not sure what I'm in for. Any advice would be appreciated.

1.Do I still dose alk and calcium for soft and lps corals? Are the number ranges the same for sps and soft corals?

2. I remember reading once that soft corals have a chemical they release and can foul a tank. Any truth or experience with that?

3. In your opinion, Should I just keep soft corals or is it acceptable to keep lps too?

4. Is there a store that has the best selection of Soft Corals around S.E. Michigan (Between Preuss West and Stingray Bay East, Kees North and Tropicorium South? My radius has grown in the last year.

5. Are there colorful soft corals out there that are photosynthetic?

6. Do you feed Soft corals the same way you feed sps or is fish poop and light enough?

Also, should I sell my huge colonies whole or break them up as fresh cut?

Thanks and feel free to add anything I might need to know.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I am doing the exact same thing. I have two pieces of SPS left and I am happy to leave it behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rc Hopkins sig - SPS breakdown/Soft LPS coral in it's place.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

First Name
    Tom

I thought for sure I was the only one doing this, lol. Good luck and let me know if you find out some secrets to success.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    I am doing the exact same thing. I have two pieces of SPS left and I am happy to leave it behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Thinking seriously about switching from sps to softy and lps. I got the idea first from seeing The Binford's piece of art in the living room that was packed with lps and soft corals, but not too much. I'd like to get close to that, but not sure what I'm in for. Any advice would be appreciated.

1.Do I still dose alk and calcium for soft and lps corals? Are the number ranges the same for sps and soft corals?

LPS still has a calcium skeleton, so it needs both alk and calcium. Maintaining a healthy magnesium level is also a good idea.

2. I remember reading once that soft corals have a chemical they release and can foul a tank. Any truth or experience with that?

I have read that as well, and to mitigate the chemical warfare people have recommended running carbon.

3. In your opinion, Should I just keep soft corals or is it acceptable to keep lps too?

I like mixed reefs myself. RIght now I have soft, lps and a couple SPS(for now).

4. Is there a store that has the best selection of Soft Corals around S.E. Michigan (Between Preuss West and Stingray Bay East, Kees North and Tropicorium South? My radius has grown in the last year.

I have found that local reefers have a better selection than any store!

5. Are there colorful soft corals out there that are photosynthetic?

The Tyree neon toadstool is one of the most colorful, along with Fiji yellow leather, the dreaded GSP, blue xenia, and blue anthelia.

6. Do you feed Soft corals the same way you feed sps or is fish poop and light enough?

I am using reef chili and get a pretty good feeding response. I plan to pickup a bag of the food that Reef Paradise makes at some point.

Also, should I sell my huge colonies whole or break them up as fresh cut?

You will probably make more money off of smaller frags, but it will be harder to move all of them than a large colony.

Thanks and feel free to add anything I might need to know.
    RIght now I have an RBTA, a couple leathers, two different hammers and a frogspawn. I like it now that my tank is "moving" now, instead of standing still with a bunch of SPS. Don't get me wrong, I still love SPS. I just do not have the time to dedicate to their needs and I am loving getting "back to the basics". I haven't had a tank with what they call beginner corals in over 8 years, but now I am remembering what got me into this hobby in the first place.
    rc Hopkins sig - SPS breakdown/Soft LPS coral in it's place.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

No right or wrong answer here Tom. There are plenty of nice looking softies out there and even more LPS. I love my acros but no way they are as colorful as LPS. Softies move, you mix them with LPS color and you have an amazing tank. Got to get a wavebox of you go soft though. Nothing better than that sway! Is there anything that could match a tank full of acans?

As far as selling the acros, start with the colony and if it doesnt sell go for frags. Let me know if your selling any of your acros, but I only like colonies!!!! Lol

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

LPS and softies are way easier than SPS IME. They are not as sensitive to water quality... though good water quality is still important, and they move in the flow.

Here are my answers to your specific questions:

1. Yes, LPS and softies need/use them but won't use it up as quickly.
    2. Some species more than others. But carbon and skimming take care of it.
    3. Keep both... some SPS can be kept too.
    4. Preuss is my LFS so I am bias.
    5. Tons. Neon sinularia is one of my favs.
    6. I don't feed softies but most LPS benefit from feeding
    7. Frag em and bring them to the LFS for store credit to get the new corals.

Mixed reefs are the best. I find that there are cycles that take place over the years... sometimes one group of corals is rocking while another is doing so-so.

Tom

P.S. if you go for the switch I can trade frags for frags!
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 12-03-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added post script

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

My first tank was nothing but softies and LPS. My present tank is nothing but softies and LPS + 1 Clam and Sun Coral. I find that these corals are much more forgiving when it comes to slacking on the husbandry. Not that I do Everything grows crazy for me, and this is why I stick with them.
    I dose BRS 2 part it's a pain but I'm still waiting on a doser from Santa
    I've never had any chemical warfare, it's a Yooper neighborhood Wonderful place to raise your kids!
    I feed Coral Extacy 1x bi-weekly, just for the corals. Otherwise I feed several types of frozen every day.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I agree with slapshot. This is your call Tom. Personally I like a mix of all of em. Yes as they grow you will need to adjust levels just like sps but just not as much. The very best place for any coral that pops is cherry coral !! Unreal selection and all ya got to do is call Todd and make an appointment. It's like the willy wonka factory for fish geeks ! The trop and Ypsilanti FD do well also. I would like to invite you over and have ya look at what we did with the new tank befor you pull the trigger. I would not break up the colony's instead find someone who will care for them like you have that way if you want good frags they will be glad to return it to you. I doubt selling is a money issue,but if it is then call cut away !! I call first dibs tho ! Lol sending you a PM also

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I always defined "weeds" as "anything growing where you don't want it". In the flower beds, even blue grass is a weed... And while my lawn IS a dandelion free zone, I do prefer the motion of soft corals and LPS. I find it hypnotizing to a degree, and I am certain it helps reduce my blood pressure at the end of the day. Well, that and a glass of...
    Likes Tom Toro, MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    RIght now I have an RBTA, a couple leathers, two different hammers and a frogspawn. I like it now that my tank is "moving" now, instead of standing still with a bunch of SPS. Don't get me wrong, I still love SPS. I just do not have the time to dedicate to their needs and I am loving getting "back to the basics". I haven't had a tank with what they call beginner corals in over 8 years, but now I am remembering what got me into this hobby in the first place.
    Thanks for the work, Hop. I'll use a lot of that info and yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing things moving around. I might have to tone down the Tunzes some so I don't kill the lps.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    No right or wrong answer here Tom. There are plenty of nice looking softies out there and even more LPS. I love my acros but no way they are as colorful as LPS. Softies move, you mix them with LPS color and you have an amazing tank. Got to get a wavebox of you go soft though. Nothing better than that sway! Is there anything that could match a tank full of acans?

As far as selling the acros, start with the colony and if it doesnt sell go for frags. Let me know if your selling any of your acros, but I only like colonies!!!! Lol
    I was looking into the wave box for the other tank. They're not priced too bad and I see 'em all the time for sale, used. I'll let you know if I see the colonies, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I agree with slapshot. This is your call Tom. Personally I like a mix of all of em. Yes as they grow you will need to adjust levels just like sps but just not as much. The very best place for any coral that pops is cherry coral !! Unreal selection and all ya got to do is call Todd and make an appointment. It's like the willy wonka factory for fish geeks ! The trop and Ypsilanti FD do well also. I would like to invite you over and have ya look at what we did with the new tank befor you pull the trigger. I would not break up the colony's instead find someone who will care for them like you have that way if you want good frags they will be glad to return it to you. I doubt selling is a money issue,but if it is then call cut away !! I call first dibs tho ! Lol sending you a PM also
    It's always a money issue when I have a budget, lol!! Thanks and I'd definitely like to come over and see the new setup in person. I think you guys are right about adding some lps along with the softies. I plan on keeping the frogspawn and would like to put in some lobo and open brains. That's what I started with many years ago.
    PM coming your way, Chuck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last