[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

SPS breakdown/Soft LPS coral in it's place.

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Thanks for the help, Tom! I would like to trade sps for soft corals. That will work great for me. I'll work up some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    LPS and softies are way easier than SPS IME. They are not as sensitive to water quality... though good water quality is still important, and they move in the flow.

Here are my answers to your specific questions:

1. Yes, LPS and softies need/use them but won't use it up as quickly.
    2. Some species more than others. But carbon and skimming take care of it.
    3. Keep both... some SPS can be kept too.
    4. Preuss is my LFS so I am bias.
    5. Tons. Neon sinularia is one of my favs.
    6. I don't feed softies but most LPS benefit from feeding
    7. Frag em and bring them to the LFS for store credit to get the new corals.

Mixed reefs are the best. I find that there are cycles that take place over the years... sometimes one group of corals is rocking while another is doing so-so.

Tom

P.S. if you go for the switch I can trade frags for frags!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff R.Solution
    Awards Photo of the Month - Emerald Eyes Photo of the Month Contest

what really makes a tank beautiful is when you yourself can look at it, then smile. it can be SPS, LPS, softies, or simply an algae tank with inverts. weeds are unwanted and/or worthless, they can be any coral, worm, or comment.
    [imglink]http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/sig.php?n=flynnstone[/imglink]
    Likes Tom Toro, Tom@HaslettMI, binford4000 liked this post

Interesting idea Tom! You could do some cool stuff with a tank dominated with acans and the multi-color ricordia as well. The nice thing is that you'll still be able to spend a ton of money on frags as well! Just be careful not to burn anything with those LEDs, as LPS and softies will require much less light.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnstone View Post
    what really makes a tank beautiful is when you yourself can look at it, then smile. it can be SPS, LPS, softies, or simply an algae tank with inverts. weeds are unwanted and/or worthless, they can be any coral, worm, or comment.
    Well put ! I think the later comment was out of line also. Many people feel softies are more enjoyable then SPS and difficulty level is low which makes care easy and successes much easier also. This hobby is unique because as I see it you can strive for expert level of experience in any species that pleases you. What's important is that you first maintain your livestock and remeberr that it is your responsibility . I find it rude to knock anyone who puts this much effort into anything. Weather it's an SPS dominated tank or a vat of Texas trash. If it pleases you and fills you with pride it is time well spent. Good luck with the change over Tom and when you do visit bring a bucket for some freebies !
    Likes Tom Toro, MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Interesting idea Tom! You could do some cool stuff with a tank dominated with acans and the multi-color ricordia as well. The nice thing is that you'll still be able to spend a ton of money on frags as well! Just be careful not to burn anything with those LEDs, as LPS and softies will require much less light.
    Thanks Pat! I agree, it's going to include lps along with the softies. Lots of color there. LOL, my budget is going to take a good size hit, but it's going to be a lot of fun.
    Also, I can already grow sps in the big tank and have one of the four sections dedicated to sps, with the led hung about 5" lower than the other three. I won't be done with the sticks completely.

I'll be careful with the LED's in the softie tank and hang 'em higher than they are now. A lot more power than I thought in those lights. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Well put ! I think the later comment was out of line also. Many people feel softies are more enjoyable then SPS and difficulty level is low which makes care easy and successes much easier also. This hobby is unique because as I see it you can strive for expert level of experience in any species that pleases you. What's important is that you first maintain your livestock and remeberr that it is your responsibility . I find it rude to knock anyone who puts this much effort into anything. Weather it's an SPS dominated tank or a vat of Texas trash. If it pleases you and fills you with pride it is time well spent. Good luck with the change over Tom and when you do visit bring a bucket for some freebies !
    I agree with you, Chuck. By the way, I already bought the phosgard before I saw your offer, sorry about that. I want to get over there to pick your brain, so I'll have to come up with another excuse to see you guys.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

1.Do I still dose alk and calcium for soft and lps corals? Are the number ranges the same for sps and soft corals?

The LPS will benefit very much. The number ranges dont matter as much as consistant numbers do.

2. I remember reading once that soft corals have a chemical they release and can foul a tank. Any truth or experience with that?

Its called Allelopathy.

Allelopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretty much all corals do this to some extent, but it seems that the softies effect SPS in a much harsher manner than other corals. Same with the mucus/slimes the softies give off. I agree with the running of carbon to lessen effects.

3. In your opinion, Should I just keep soft corals or is it acceptable to keep lps too?

I am sure whatever you decide, it will be nice.

4. Is there a store that has the best selection of Soft Corals around S.E. Michigan (Between Preuss West and Stingray Bay East, Kees North and Tropicorium South? My radius has grown in the last year.

As far as softies go- i would concentrate on local reefers. Alot cheaper that way. LPS gems are found everywhere- if you are at the right place at the right time.

5. Are there colorful soft corals out there that are photosynthetic?

Blue anethalia, clove polyps, neon nepthia, yellow leathers, green polyped cabbage leather, neon toadstool....

6. Do you feed Soft corals the same way you feed sps or is fish poop and light enough?

Fish poop and light have always been plenty for mine.

Tom- When you are ready for some softies that look nice, let me know. I am sure I have some you will really enjoy.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Oh-

And Happy Birthday Man!

First Name
    Tom

Thanks for the birthday words, Chris and thanks for the good advice.

I agree with everyone's responses so far. Try out some easy softies and then decide what you'd like more of. softy lps tanks are very rewarding in my opinion.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

How's your softy/LPS transition coming along?

I've gone almost all softies in my nano tank and it now runs on auto pilot. I'm not dosing anything, and do a couple gallon water change every month. While I wouldn't hold my current reef husbandry up as a gold standard, it is nice to be able to go away for a week and not think twice about my tank. The few LPS I keep are bullet proof as well (hammer, bubble coral, and duncan).
    Likes Tom Toro, MizTanks liked this post

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but you were talking about where to get LPS and softies. There's a store on 5-mile and Middlebelt (one mile north of the middlebelt exit on I-96) called Pet Connection. I go there a LOT. At least once every other day. They get shipments in twice a week, and hand-select corals from their suppliers. They are affordable and the staff is very friendly. One of the people I talk to most is named Ken. Real soft-spoken guy with a real passion for saltwater. Ryan is a good guy as well. If you pop in, Ask them about getting you something specific. They have a few Soft-only tanks and some LPS tanks.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last