[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Starting up again, need a refresher!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Ocho Cinco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default Starting up again, need a refresher!

Hi, I have had saltwater tanks for the past 7 years and am planning on starting up again. For the past year or so I have just had a small pico and thats been it. I recently moved into a place of my own and want to start a big (appx 150 gallons) fish only tank. After looking at some sites again I realized I have forgot so much. I once knew my fair share but now feel out of the loop. I'm just looking for any suggestion on must haves/must do's to get this tank started on the right foot. Here are my plans so far: the tanks i'm looking at are from 125 gallons and up. I'm going to do a fish only type set up with LR. I have always done reefs before so fish only will be totally different for me. Eventually I think I will do a smaller reef but this is my first project. Any info on filtration, lighting, skimmers, etc would be great. Also, I'm unsure what to do in terms of water in's and out's. Drill? Overflow? How large? Thanks in advance!!!!
    DO WORK!
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

go with a cube if it fits your space.

First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Obviously go as big, and long as your space and budget will allow, it will save you money in the long run.... Big long tank allows for strong swimming fish like tangs, angels, triggers to all properly have the room they need! I think a 6' 150-180 is the best smaller sized tank for a good FOWLR if you want to really enjoy your fish, again tho bigger is definitely better especially with larger more territorial fish generally found in FOWLR tanks.

Drilled w/ overflow + sump and a large good skiimer are pretty much required with FOWLR tanks because usually they r bigger messier fish.

Lighting you can do just about any light you want doesnt have to be great as long as you can see the fish, but you could still go leds and never worry about bulbs, and use less energy!

Skimmer I would look at the Reef Octopus Extreme line, but there are others and some are better probably but the octo will get it done and are a kind of in the middle price wise. Look for something rated for atleast twice the size of your system.
    Ok thanks. One I'm looking at is 150 and the other 125. How exactly should I set up the drain and water into the tank? I know there are many ways. What all should the sump consist of?
    DO WORK!

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Your overflow location and your return/returns depend on the size of tank. I have a 150 cube so I have mine in the corner (it is drilled in the bottom corner) 2 holes only one return, one drain. If you are looking at a long tank you may want to do 2 returns and one or 2 drains. Some folks who don't want a bunch of power heads in the tank like to drill the back in a couple places and have a powerful external pump split the work thats called "closed loop" (search it tons of info im sure) Otherwise what I like is a slower flowing sump. I only have a quite one 1400 as my return and so my drain water (splits into 2 chambers refugium, and skimmer) and chills in the sump for a bit longer, giving it time to skim more and chill in my fuge growing my cheato. I rock a super reef octopus 3000 (LOVE it.) with the bubble blaster pump, and I have a lot of pooping fish and keep SPS so I can vouch for how awesome this skimmer works. I love starting tanks with the MB7 (nitrifying bacteria stuff from brightwell) Of another little thing I would never be with out is silly but it is one of those ammonia instant alert things you hang in your sump and keep for 3 months. I think that would be a big deal for fish only tanks cause you can let them get dirtier to a point but want to be in the know right away if you get a little ammonia spike. I feel like I am rambling but didn't really know where to start make sure you draw and plan out your sump how you want it... perfectly... plan your plumbing at the same time. There are formulas out there that help you determine what size overflow box and holes to drill... how deep to make your sump... set your baffles etc. You are doing the best thing asking questions and reading a ton. Hope we can help!!

Heidi

First Name
    Mike

Thank you both for the input. It looks like I will be picking up a 150 gallon with stand and canopy on Sunday. It's not drilled so I have to get that done. Are the holes usually drilled in the back? So like one in the middle with a overflow box and 1 or 2 in the corners. The sump will go in the stand. I'm not sure whay my choices are with that and what will fit in the stand. I'm assuming it will be a slow process getting equiptment a little at a time. If you know anyone who has some used stuff let me know. Oh, what about a UV sterlizer?
    DO WORK!

First Name
    Mike

Might be a dumb question but, what do you mean by 2 drains? Like 2 holes for one over flow box? Or 2 boxes? Whats the best way to do the returns if not drilling?
    DO WORK!

First Name
    Mike

Randon thought/question. Is $500 a good price for a 150 gallon, stand and canopy plus some extras? It seems to be in great shape for a used tank.
    DO WORK!

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

make sure the bottom of your tank isn't tempered glass otherwise the bottom will ****ter the second you dig into it with a hole saw, also be sure the hole saw its diamond tipped.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

I would look around for a tank for a while... It sounds to me like you are still really in the planning stages. 150 6 foot tanks are pretty common and so finding a new one or even nice used one will be easy. 500 seems like a lot with so many people trying to jump ship (economy... Bla bla etc). You could get a new tank for that if you ordered from a couple different places.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

It depends on the brand and the niceness . I for one bought a marineland DD and got a heck of a deal on a very nice tank stand canopy and lights... But later (see my thread) my tank starts to leak and I had no warrantee... There is something to be said for buying someone else's issues... Seems like the going rate for a used tank is about a dollar a gallon... Everything extra makes it more but make sure you go on a ton Of forums before you buy, better ideas of what's out there and how much it costs. Oh and decently google "bean animal" overflows... If i could pick an overflow knowing what I know now that would be it.

Drains: holes with bulkheads that lead to the sump... Can be in the back but most of the time people bottom drill.

again sorry so long
    Heidi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last