[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sump divider broke!?

Bookmark and Share
    scubamomma - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Hillary
    Awards March Madness Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Sump divider broke!?

Heard a loud pop this morning and one of the sections of glass in my sump somehow broke free of the out wall. sand and other stuff clouded my display. I am very worried any idea on how to fix this with out completely draining? this has been up and running a year

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I wouldn't worry about the junk floating around aka the "cloud" hurting anything, it shouldn't be a problem. As to fixing the sump what did the baffle separate? You might be able to do without the baffle. Did the glass break or just pull loose from the sides of the sump? To re silicone that baffle properly, you will have to get the area to be siliconed dry. Silicone will not stick to wet glass. Is the baffle glass and the sump glass? If so I'm surprised the baffle let go, usually a good silicone bead between two pieces of glass will hold. If the baffle is acyrlic/plexiglass and the sump glass you will never get a reliable joint between them. People do that all the time and it usually works, but they always fail sooner or later.

Give us the layout of your sump and see if it might make more sense to just change the sump plan rather than drain the whole thing, dry it out and put a new baffle in, which still might be what you should do. Yes it will be a royal pain, lol. You could use a large tote as a temp sump while working on the main sump. But getting a reliable joint between the baffle and the sump is next to impossible with the sump still flowing.

First Name
    Hillary

The baffle is glass as well as the sump. It only came off on one side and the portion that is now open released all the sand, LR and calerpa into the section with the return. 2 months before i move this happens! UGH

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

EPO-PUTTY! Sets very fast under water. Totally non-toxic. JimsReef.com one of our sponsors. I use this product and it's awesome!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Hillary

i can use that to put the glass back in place?! YAY

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

one of my baffles busted in half and i just used a chip bag clip on the top to hold it together lol