[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: Filtration Media type in sump

Voters
3. Register or Login to Vote
  • Filter Socks

2 66.67%
  • Media basket/ filter pad

0 0%
  • Nothing (bare foot)

1 33.33%
  • Other, Canister filter with Media

1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Sump Filtration Advice - Socks, Media Pads or nothing

Bookmark and Share
    Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Default Sump Filtration Advice - Socks, Media Pads or nothing

I'm looking at different sump design and looked at the Great Lakes Aquarium Sump while shopping for an Aquarium.

So the question is Sock and Media Boxes, are they necessary?
    Seem like a lot of the sumps I've seen pictures of DO NOT have either, while the GLA has a large Media box.
    I'm aware of the nitrate issue if they are not kept clean, but if you do not use one how do you filter the particle out of the water?

Also if your skimming water off the top of your tank isn't most of the crap still just sitting in the bottom of your display tank.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I use a filter sock and it really pulls some nasty stuff! I feel its not necessary but it improves water quality if you replace it often. If not its a nitrate factory!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

I do not run socks, not necasary allthough I have in the past. If you have enough flow in your tank it will keep detritus suspended for you skimmer to take care of.

First Name
    Jim

Ok so I decided against the media basket, so on Socks does every one run them 100%?

I would think there would be some benefit in running once in a while or 1 week a month

After water changes when stuff stirred up??

First Name
    Jim

I just picked up a used tank and sump, so that means I got to get in the sump and clean out all the good stuff.

This sump was using nothing for pre filtering and the was a lot of junk and smelly....:fishbones

Removed all the plumbing and the return line are just a dirty as the overflow lines.

So how is not using pre filter socks or media basket are you keeping you sump and tank from being a stinky mess?

Remember I'm just starting so I'm not judging just trying to learn how to set up my new tank right,....

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

A razor blade and vinegar water works well for cleaning nasty tanks. You could get a pipe cleaner with some vinegar water for your pipes. I personally don't use a sock or media bag, The drain drops right into the first chamber of the sump where the skimmer is, then over/under the baffles to the rubble rock and then over/under again to the return section. I do have some Detritus build up in the rubble rock section and one of these days I'll get a shop vac in there to clean it out. Mine is just a basic/simple/easy set up.

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    A razor blade and vinegar water works well for cleaning nasty tanks. You could get a pipe cleaner with some vinegar water for your pipes. I personally don't use a sock or media bag, The drain drops right into the first chamber of the sump where the skimmer is, then over/under the baffles to the rubble rock and then over/under again to the return section. I do have some Detritus build up in the rubble rock section and one of these days I'll get a shop vac in there to clean it out. Mine is just a basic/simple/easy set up.
    Oh thank for reminding me I should be outside cleaning up my big stinky 120 gallon monster......OK back to work.....Getting the vinegar and water.....
    Hope fully it works out at can be at the meeting on the 18th and I can bug you guys about sump designs.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I run nothing unless I am trying to aggressively remove something icky from the water. I used a sock when I was on a dino killing spree and also when I first set up my tank to collect the "dust" from the sand and what not that was buggering up the water. My water stays crystal clear due to an awesome skimmer, good break in surface tension of the water and Daily dosing of MB7. I feed really heavy but the MB& and skimmer take care of business
    Heidi