[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tank size?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Tank size?

I'm just, JUST getting started, and am curious, can you have too small of a tank? Do you all reccommend a smaller tank (30g) over a larger one (75+g) to start out with? Is a smaller tank harder to get going than a larger one?

Thanks in advance,
    -Iconz

Small tanks do not allow much margin of error since theres less water to compensate for mistakes compared to larger tanks. I started with a 55 and I thought that was a bit small. The saying goes "Buy the biggest tank you can afford", I personally do not like the hassle and care of big tanks (or mainly tall tanks where you cant reach the bottom). Good sizes from my understanding are 55 to 75 to 90 and maybe even a 120. Between the sump and refugium if you add one you'll have alot of water to compensate for newbie errors and still have a nice showcase of a tank.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

^^^ Pretty much sums it up.

That being said, I don't like 55G tanks because they're so narrow front-to-back. 75's and 90's are nice for the aquascaping aspect. (That coming from a guy with two 120G tanks in his living room. )
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

K. That makes sence. Man, sooo much to take in. As much as I'd like to just go buy everything, I'm gonna refrain and wait til I have an idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

-IC

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

you have got the right idea, dont jump into this..... research and find what suits you best. and buy the best you can. if not your gonna end up upgrading down the road. this hobby is very very addicting.
    as for tank size yes as stated above bigger is better. if you go tooo small you will end up regretting it or just getting a bigger tank (I know I have upgraded 3 times in the past 2 years, I am in the process of setting up a 400 gallon right now)
    But as everyone will say on here..........just take your time and dont be afraid to ask for help.
    fulltankshot 1 - Tank size?

Yeah, i'm following your 400gal project! I'm interrested to see how it comes out. I've got a LIST of questions, but I think that I'm gonna try to get knowlegeable on each topic 1 at a time. IE: Tanks, lighting, filtration, fish, coral, water, etc... (not nessicarily in that order). Thanks.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

as usual i agree with everyone else ... BIGGER is BETTER !! especially when just starting out. i also have upgrade a couple of times in the 2 years that i have been into the hobby. ( 29gal. reef to 55gal. reef to 125gal. reef) and i am looking for more tanks !! i must be out of my mind !!
    if i would have listened to people when i started i would have gotten the biggest tank possible, the metal halides, and the best skimmer around ... WHEN I STARTED !!

Just an idea to help you decide what size tank you might want- have you thought about the types of fish you may want to keep? That can really help point you in the right direction when deciding on a tank size...

Default tank size / fish

Sweetpea, Well to be honest, I honestly don't know too much as to what I have to choose from. I like the look of clowns. But, I haven't done enough reading on them to decide if they're compatabile (sp?) with other fish. You all are gonna hafta forgive me, because I literally know nothing. Except that I love the look of coral aquariums, and the fish that come along with them. I'm thinking I'll have to start with a 75gal (100 max) due to somewhat limited funding at the moment. I'll go do some looking around at the fish, and try to get an idea of where to start. I think its best to start some very hardy fish at first, is that correct? Thanks a ton to all of you, plz have the patience with me, I catch on to things fast.

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA ON THE FUNDING ISSUE THE BEST PART IS IF YER MARRIED GET HER IN ON IT AND IF YA GOT KIDS EVEN BETTER I KEPT TELLING MY WIFE ITS ALL FOR MY DAUGHTER SHE WAS ONLY GONNA LET ME DO A 30 GAL BUT WITH A LIL TALKING TOO I'M BUILDING A 75 GAL WITH A 30 GAL SUMP ALSO I HAVE ONLY BEEN UP AND RUNNING FOR 5 DAYS NOW ITS GREAT SOFAR I'M LOOKING AT THE 30 GAL EVERYDAY ONLY CUZ I DONT HAVE THAT 75 YET ITS COMMING I HOPE ITS HERE BY FRIDAY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last