[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tips You Might Not Read in a Book...

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

A pair of wire strippers makes a great tool for fragging a small section of flesh off the bottom of a newly cut gorgonian frag. Makes gluing the frag much easier.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

remember to clean those powerheads, this is what I got after neglecting mine for a few months....this use to be a vinegar and water solution. being so dirty my koralia 1400, and 750 were barely blowing and causing the polyps in my tank to get a strange brown sludge on their skirts more flow = happy zoanthids and palys ...and noo the black did not come from the powerheads black color they were just reaally dirty lol.
    DSC 0167 - Tips You Might Not Read in a Book...
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Default Pressure Can Be a good Thing...

While recently servicing my RO/DO, I took a few minutes to observe the impact input pressure had on it's performance.

• ~350 TDS, softened well water
    • BRS 75 GPD 6 stage RO/DI.
    • Water pressure ranges from 35 - 60 PSI (depending on accumulator charge)

At 35 PSI, the RO generates 4 TDS water
    At 60 PSI, the RO generates 2 TDS water
    I haven't done a time comparison, but it's obviously much faster at higher pressures.

As a result, I am installing a boost pump as doing so will at least double the life of my DI resin - Perhaps even more when operating above 60 PSI.

As the DI resin is usually the most expensive component of making zero-TDS water, the pump investment will quickly be recovered with the additional benefit of making more water over less time.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes ebushrow liked this post

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

great thread ill try thinking of mine, well idk if this counts as one but using a hob fliter as a refugeim has helped my tank a Tonnn!
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I bought some window tint for the sides of my tank~I chose the type where you can see in but not out~it's uv proof and since my tank sits in my living room with a window on each side of it~look maw no algae on the glass! I just raise it if I want to look inside
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Thomas

Default Pressure Can Be a good Thing Part 2...

Just installed the boost pump and set the pressure to 80 PSI (recommended to extend the life of the seals.) RO product water now 1 TDS (a 300% improvement, cross checked inline meter with handheld.) Although I haven't done a timed measurement, I'd estimate water production has more than doubled.

Prior to installation of the boost pump, my pressure ranged from 35~60 PSI depending on the accumulator charge, producing water averaging ~3 TDS from the RO. This should about triple the performance/longevity of my DI resin.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

If you ever need to cut PVC pipe in a small area where you can't fit a saw,(like under a tank stand...) you can use nylon string. Put the string around the pipe pull back on it like you're a Mafia hit-man, and then start a sawing motion. After you get going fast enough it will cut through it. This is an old plumber's trick.

First Name
    Thomas

Default An Easy Way to target Feed Pellets to Corals

1. Depending on the depth of your tank, take 2-3 large diameter straws (i.e. Slurpee straws) and join them together.
    2. Place the straw in the tank with the end placed directly over the animal you wish to feed.
    3. With pumps turned off, simply drop the pellets in the top of the straw and direct them onto the target corals.

If you use the straws that have a wide "shovel like" end, use that end at the top as it makes it easier to drop the pellets into the straw.

This works great for feeding Acans, Duncans, Wellso, Hammers/Torches...pretty much anything with a mouth. I even use it to create a "food pile" in a corner of the tank to feed the inverts so prior to feeding the corals so the shrimp don't steal from the corals. I use the Fauna Marin LPS Pellets and get a great feeding response from just about everything. It's a bit tedious feeding hundreds of heads, but way everyone gets fed and virtually nothing ends up on the substrate.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Don't try using airline tubing with a syringe to feed your corals~dang thing just floats and ya gotta stick you arm in the tank anyways
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

This is a awesome thread. I've learned so much.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last