[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

too much food???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default too much food???

Please look at my previoius post to get a better understanding of where I am comeing from.

I understand that feeding fish less , is better than feeding them more. However, I am begining to realise that you have to feed Corals and anenomes as well...And then there is all this talk about "keeping your water perameters perfect" (obviously thats a dream that most people want for their tanks). However, Then i also read, only do a 10-20% water change per week. IF even that much... isent feeding everything going to be "over feeding" if you got to feed every animal every day?!??! how do people keep there tank clean...too much food makes bad water quality-->dead fish--->dead corals---> algea outbreak!!!! AT least thats what it is in the freshwater world...

with a freshwater tank, I did 50% water changes everyweek...maybe twice a week...to keep the plant fertilizers and nutritets in check and keep the water quality up...so, since you are doing a simular thing, by adding so much stuff to the water (food instead of fertilisers) why would you NOT want to do a 50% water change weekly , like a freshwater tank??

how do you keep good water quality?

also...why do reef and saltwater tanks always look more crystal clear than a freshwater tank? ALWAYS, you put any reef next to any freshwater, and I guarintee you the reef will look cleaner and nicer...Does that have to do with properties of the Salinity in the water?

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

1. You don't have to feed your corals, corals are filter feeders, they draw nutrients from water. Just feed your fish and you should be fine.

2. Anemone is an invert and you need to feed it one a week/two weeks.

3. The biological ( rocks+sand) filtration in combination with efficient skimmer keeps your water clean

4. The 10-20% water change does more than provide fresh water, it provides trace nutrients and also helps balance chemistry

5. Large water changes can be done in reef aquarium when required. Eg: Chemistry problems, infection, ammonia spikes etc. Associated with large water changes are large change in parameters thats why not recommended.

6. Keeping water quality good is a combination of a mature system, good skimmer and good tank husbandry

7. Fresh and salt water both can have clear water.

8. Its my understanding that you are just getting into the salt water hobby, it always helps if you read first before buying equipments and livestock.

9. On the internet there is lots of knowledge so spend time and read a lot also ask simple questions and lots of people will help you

I hope it helps!!!

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by whitedove359 View Post
    Please look at my previoius post to get a better understanding of where I am comeing from.

I understand that feeding fish less , is better than feeding them more. However, I am begining to realise that you have to feed Corals and anenomes as well...And then there is all this talk about "keeping your water perameters perfect" (obviously thats a dream that most people want for their tanks). However, Then i also read, only do a 10-20% water change per week. IF even that much... isent feeding everything going to be "over feeding" if you got to feed every animal every day?!??! how do people keep there tank clean...too much food makes bad water quality-->dead fish--->dead corals---> algea outbreak!!!! AT least thats what it is in the freshwater world...

with a freshwater tank, I did 50% water changes everyweek...maybe twice a week...to keep the plant fertilizers and nutritets in check and keep the water quality up...so, since you are doing a simular thing, by adding so much stuff to the water (food instead of fertilisers) why would you NOT want to do a 50% water change weekly , like a freshwater tank??

how do you keep good water quality?
    Well, There's something we have the ability to do in salt water which is basically impossible in fresh water: protein skimming. There is so much nutrient export via the skimmer it makes water changes much less in volume, especially compared to a planted tank. When I was running my 55g fish only, with live rock, I did not have a skimmer and my levels were all over the place, as soon as I got a skimmer, the amount of bad stuff in the tank dropped significantly. (I assume this was because the beneficial bacteria could now keep up with the lower nutrient levels)

Quote Originally Posted by whitedove359 View Post
    also...why do reef and saltwater tanks always look more crystal clear than a freshwater tank? ALWAYS, you put any reef next to any freshwater, and I guarintee you the reef will look cleaner and nicer...Does that have to do with properties of the Salinity in the water?
    Salt water refracts light differently than fresh water, also as you probably know the pH is typically higher as well 8.0 - 8.4. Many reefs have significantly more water movement than in most freshwater tanks.. could this have something to do with it? maybe. It could be the nutrient export from skimming as well. maybe someone else can chime in.

Chemistry, water movement, filtration can all play some role in water clarity.
    Last edited by XSiVE; 07-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I think the clarity, in part, has to do with the tannins and similar organics being leeched into freshwater, which isn't very often experienced in a reef tank, although there is gelbstoff (sp?) which is basically yellowing of the water.

Edit: Also see the above posts, I think there's alot of good points, including the skimming! That's a huge reduction of gunk in the water.

As for the feeding, I was actually thinking of starting a thread on here that has people post what they have in their tank, what they feed, and how often they feed, because when reading I often see 'feed twice a day' and then see in forums that a lot feed things twice a week. Feeding twice a day with a single sinking granule might amount to the same as feeding a frozen cube twice a week in bioload, but it's this lack of specific details that make any 'feed this many times' claims pointless.

Maybe a thread that has a little input like:
    Total Tank Volume (Inc. Sumps/Fuges):
    Number of Fish:
    Number of Inverts (detritus feeders):
    Number of Inverts (focused feeding):
    Items Fed (Frozen Spirulina/Flake/etc) x Amount (grams/oz's/etc) x Schedule (daily/weekly/biweekly/etc)

I think that would be more beneficial to alot of people than people simply saying 'I feed my tank twice a month'.
    Last edited by adalius; 07-26-2010 at 02:21 PM.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

as to the feeding i feed my fish small amounts 2 times a day and i feed my corals every other day to keep the waste down with the corals its a target feeding with a turky baster so there is little our no food going in to the water when feeding coral
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

you should/could start a thread like that. though i will never get, "i only feed my tank every 3 days"?

i actually feed 3 x's a day most days. no life i know i dont feed alot or all the foods at once those 3 x's. i kind of rotate the different fishes favorite foods. some dont like one thing while others something else or some like it all! so if a fish misses a meal because he doesnt want something,lol it is his own fault. unless it is a dedicated feeder or something like my baby cardinals. i am mixing other foods with their brine to get them off it hopefully soon.

i feed mysis every 2-3 days for certain corals(usually before bed) and the fish grab some of that, i feed the other stuff lighter those nights. otherwise i feed pellets, flakes and pieces, cyclopeeze, enriched or baby brine shrimp because of the baby cardinals and phytoplankton at different times to get them all fed.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

Anyone in this hobby can tell you horror stories about when they got into this hobby..... ALL OF US has bought something that was totally unnecessary or was a poor fit with the rest of our equipment/and or livestock. The best advice that you can take in this hobby to avoid discouragement or dissapointment is to read these forums and always ask any question you have before a purchase. Everyone will be more than glad to help and most of the time the people who do not know what you ask will not post anyways for fear of leading you in the wrong direction!
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

CR Member

Thanks lol. Thtas why I am asking qustions! SO AM i all set to go then? to start cycling the tank? I have the SWC 200 Protein Skimmer...

Do i want to add a refgium, baserock and liverock at the same time? whats the difernce between the two?

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

A refugium can be added now or later. If you aren't using live sand in it, I'd probably start it with the main tank, but that's just my opinion.

The difference between live rock and base rock is whether it's biologically active. Most base rock is dead rock. You can add both at the same time. Just bear in mind that live rock requires the water chemistry to be roughly similar to your end goal in that it needs the basics like salinity, temperature, and pH. It doesn't have to be perfect but the closer you start the better the results. You can, while setting the tank up, ignore ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings for at least a couple days.

If you aren't putting any actual critters in the tank right away (aside from those on the liverock) you can also boost your cycle time by putting a small amount of household ammonia in. Not alot, just a little. I used about 4-5 small capfuls in my 30 gallon. You're basically using that to provide extra food for the bacterial culture so they grow a little faster. Some people frown on this method, but done carefully, it's worked for me numerous times.

CR Member

why do people frown on that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last