[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

using my FW filtration setup for SW

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default using my FW filtration setup for SW

So I am planning on converting my 150g FW to SW reef tank. I was wondering if my current filters will work, and to what extent. I am running 2 aquaclear 110 HOBs and a fluval fx5 canister, and a seio m1500 powerhead. I would also add a HOB protein skimmer if my setup is a permanent solution. I figure i can house macroalgea or rubble in the HOBs and use the canister solely for mechanical filtration. will this setup compare to a sump/fuge system?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by williamsejames View Post
    So I am planning on converting my 150g FW to SW reef tank. I was wondering if my current filters will work, and to what extent. I am running 2 aquaclear 110 HOBs and a fluval fx5 canister, and a seio m1500 powerhead. I would also add a HOB protein skimmer if my setup is a permanent solution. I figure i can house macroalgea or rubble in the HOBs and use the canister solely for mechanical filtration. will this setup compare to a sump/fuge system?
    Alright to start with a tank that big you might want to look into drilling it for a sump.
    The HOB filers and canister filters you are gonna wanna try to get away from. They tend to be deterious traps.
    The really isn't gonna be a good HOB skimmer for your tank size. Most HOB skimmers are very poor and or wont do a great job.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

It will, but you HAVE to be VERY religious about the filter cleanings. They are notorious nitrate traps. Personally, I would never run a canister on a reef. Some have done with no problems, but those that have problems have the worst of problems. It seems to me that it's either fine, or disastrous.

Do you have room below for a sump? you can pick up a 50 or 75g for cheap anymore, silicone (Or WeldOn for acrylic) in your own baffles, and have exactly what you need/want.

If you are intimidated, there are plenty of us around here more than willing to lend a hand for a beer, (or future considerations on frags)

CR Member

Well, here are a couple of my concerns; I have an all-glass tank and am extremely scared to drill it. The tank isn't on the ground floor and i'm nervous about putting another 500lbs+ of weight under it. I'm worried about the cost to set up an entire sump system as well.

my goal is to convert the tank to SW for around $750 before livestock.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    go basement sump/fish room and use a rubbermaid for the sump.... not too expensive and can add a good amount of sump water volume
    it's a duplex and the downstairs isn't mine.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

It's all about ground pressure. Adding 500lbs to something that is spread over a 4'X1.5' area isn't much really (You add 1.78 pounds per square inch). Honestly, YOUR ground pressure is probably more than that because your feet are MUCH less spread out and the pressure is pin-pointed.

In the long run, The canister will bite you in the ***, IMHO.

Drilling isn't bad really. Just look at it through polarized glasses. No streaks = safe. If you want a hand, like I said, there are quite a few of us that wouldn't mind helping a new reefer off to a proper start. I know people REALLY helped me set up my first tank, and it turned int a Dream because of the pre-planning and the assistance I got BEFORE I ever set it up.