[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Waste water

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

All my waste water goes down the drain.

TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

I drain onto my lawn during the summer. Come winter...down the drain it goes.
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ugh! Down the drain an it drives me crazy...I'm a hater of waste. I'm gonna test it for TDS there's gotta be some way I can utilize it.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

At the normal 4:1 waste ratio the brine or waste TDS will be 20 to 25% higher than the tap water was to begin with. It concentrates the TDS from that one treated gallon in the four waste gallons. Its not horribly bad as long as the tap water was safe to begin with and can be used for other purposes. That being said, I send mine to the drain too since its a pain to do anything with and it gets recycled and reused over and over anyway.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Miz you really don't make that much of it anyway. Just send it down the drain, look at your tank and smile.

AZrat, what kind of waste numbers do you see on your high efficiency setup.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Depending on water temperature and my booster pump setting I see between 0.67:1 and 1:1 waste to good. Its normally slightly less than 1:1.

The MaxCap UHE system is not cheap but it is a real marvel of technology and science.
    It uses a computer microprocessor to control a booster pump and solenoid valves and uses stored RO/DI water to backwash, rinse and store the RO membrane in so it is stays clean and fresh. TDS creep is not an issue since on shutdown the unit double backwashes and then fills the membrane housing with DI so tap water is not surrounding the RO membrane and osmosing to the treated side which is what TDS creep is. It should also last pretty much forever since it is cleaned at timed intervals an at shutdown so solids do not have a chance to collect and solidify on the membrane fabric. Even with my tap wate rTDS of 630 I see a RO only TDS of between 2 and 3 and my DI seems to last forever.
    Last edited by AZDesertRat; 09-08-2011 at 10:32 AM.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thats an awesome ro number for that high of a TDS. My god you have some crap water in your neck of the woods. I see about 330ppm, I thought that was bad. What kind of TDS numbers do you see on the brine? It must be sky high!

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

The brine TDS is over 1200 since the 0.67 to 1 gallon contains the concentrated brine for the treated gallon too.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2