[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Water Changes?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Water Changes?

Could someone explain to me why some reefers will go a year without a water change? Some state that they don't even dose for essential elements. So how do they replace them? How is it that their tanks look so good without a water change?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Could someone explain to me why some reefers will go a year without a water change? Some state that they don't even dose for essential elements. So how do they replace them? How is it that their tanks look so good without a water change?
    I think it would depend on the livestock and water volume they are dealing with. Some leathers and softies actually do better in dirty water. I do believe once a tank really matures (3-5 years) it actually is better to do less water changes due to the stabilized bio bacteria that has colonized. Mature colony's are much more stable and forgiving to swings and low levels excluding ammonia of course. The tank we had up north for 13 years was pretty much on cruise control for 9 of those years. We did water change every few months and that would be only three buckets worth. Top off was pretty much the only thing that we worried about and that would get done when the skilter then eventually the wet dry started to make noise or the canisters would start blowing air. Of course this was before skimmers we're common place and sand filters were considered high tech!This was a 125 gal tall.We also never used R/O just well water and only needed carbon in the canisters. On the other side of the coin reefers did not keep the species we now keep. Haveing SPS was totally unheard of back then and the choices we're very limited. I would be intrested to hear of only an annual water change,ad how they're doing it. Sure would save some $$$$

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I only change water on my 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump every other week. Some times longer and only do 3-5 gallons. Once a month my water change comes from siphoning my substrate. The rest of the time I take 3-5 gallons out with a pitcher and pour 3-5 fresh back in. No buckets, no mixing. I have a 20 gallon tub of saltwater to temp and salinity on hand at all times. I am growing acros and mixed soft corals no problem. My acros have crazy growth now but only once I got dosers. I use BRS (2) Part Dosing. I would be surprised if anyone is growing high end acros and not dosing or water changing.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've only done a water change a couple times this year. But I am not keeping anything considered difficult. I purchase my livestock with hardiness in mind.

I also don't dose and don't have a skimmer. I only have 3 fish though...well I have 6 fish, but the 1-inch long gobies don't add much to the bio load.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Water Changes?

Ok but this still doesn't answer how the essential elements are replaced without water changes and without dosing for them. Like iodine and strontium. Are you saying that corals don't need these things or just don't use them much?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I guess some corals don't need them as much?

Maybe I would get better growth if I pampered my (easy) corals more by dosing and water changes.... but in my tank, I'm not interested in growth at this point. It just means more coral fights and the need to prune/frag (spend more time).

I keep an eye on my corals and if I notice them looking stressed I do a water change...that is usually every 2-3 months. Perhaps they have depleted the elements in the water and that is why they are looking stressed.

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I guess some corals don't need them as much?

Maybe I would get better growth if I pampered my (easy) corals more by dosing and water changes.... but in my tank, I'm not interested in growth at this point. It just means more coral fights and the need to prune/frag (spend more time).

I keep an eye on my corals and if I notice them looking stressed I do a water change...that is usually every 2-3 months. Perhaps they have depleted the elements in the water and that is why they are looking stressed.
    Jim it would be interesting to see you test all of your parameters when you do a water change and then do it again right before the next 2-3 months down the road. It depends on the corals you have and the rate in which they consume essential elements. Probably would have a hard time growing most SPS without more frequent water changes. I can go 2 weeks though without any noticeable affect on my SPS.