[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

waterchange/cold

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default waterchange/cold

Doing a waterchange yesterday.Forgot how cold its been and without checking temp of the fresh saltwater to be added,I changed out my 5 gallons.Glanced at the tank temp and it was 76.Normally it runs around 81 so its got me a little worried because acro's are real sensitive to temp spikes but not sure how they'll respond to the cooler water.Its back up to normal now,but wish me luck.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wow, that big a temp differnce even over night? That water must have been really cold!

How and where are you measuring temp? I've found big variations through the glass temps at top and bottom of the tank and water temp in the sump. The variance may not be as big as you're seeing, though in a smaller tank it could be.

Hoping for the best for you.....
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I usually mix up 5 gal of saltwater at a time.My RO/DI is in the garage and i didn't realise how cold it was out there.I figure the bucket was about 70 when i added it to tank.Never measured temp at all.Thing look pretty good today,I figure in nature,there are cold upwelling currents that hit the reefs periodically so they probably tolerate it well.If it had been too warm,now then i probably would have had bleaching/RTN

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

IMO, you should be ok... so long as you're not reaching down near the high to mid 60's.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I woo-dent thank it will be a problem my heater went out and temp drops to 72 and
    no problem just put in new heater and all was will
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

First Name
    Dave

Cold enough in FL to need a heater in your make-up water huh? Thougt it was always a balmy 70+ down there.... Geez we're having to keep a 300w heater in the tank and a 250 in the sump to maintain 78 degrees in the big tank now....winter's just starting to roll in... should prove interesting to see how it goes.

BTW, Jerry be careful with those steel heaters from F&S, one of the two I ordered in a couple monthes ago went haywire...stray voltage all over the water surface.. zapped Angel pretty pretty good a couple times, then me a few times before I figgered out what was wrong think it's where the wires enter into the heater element that is not sealed as well as it should be...benched it for now, gotta take it apart to see yet.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

A shocking experience, huh??? Bet the hair-do's at the Cochran home prove to be a bit interesting.

First Name
    Dave

That is based on the assumption that I have any hairs to 'do'. Angel on the other hand.... naw that'd earn me way too many lumps of I was to go into re-'do'ing her hair for her with 'lectric.

Isn't it amazing how not so bright we are? Think about it, she tells me she's getting small shocks from one of the light fixtures, so what do i do? Of course go out there and grab it... hmmm nothing there... so stick hand in the water..... ZAP! okay the volatage in is the water and not the lights.... but yet this FACT has to be verified several times before you start unplugging things to figure out what the problem is. :violent1:

I have done it, too... Are you a believer in grounding your tank??? I just grounded mine a few months ago. Although I haven't noticed anymore strange little zings, I haven't noticed a big improvement, either.

First Name
    Dave

okay lets drag another off the track while we wait on Dave's acros to decide if they caught cold or not...My opinion is the ground probes/rods is they are pretty subjective. Do they work, probably, would they create a definate short path for stray voltage to reach ground, most likely, better than the existing nuetral path (mine is tied to an 8' copperclad ground rod), another maybe. Are they really needed.....maybe...depends on the rest of your wiring.

I like the Ground Fault Interupt (GFI) breaker path instead, just not sure if I want a subpanel by the tank or just re-wire the existing circuits, (another 'one of these days' projects that needs to be done). But those I know work as designed, and would have popped open as soon as that heater started throwing stray current.

My whole reasoning is based on preferring to eliminate any stray current by finding it's source and making it go away, rather than letting it continue and just be tossed to ground without my knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last