[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ways to remove a fish...

Bookmark and Share

Default Ways to remove a fish...

I have quite a bit of liverock in my tank and I need to get an overly aggressive fish out. I really dont want to tear the structure down so I thought if anyone had any methods for extracting a fish from a tank without messing with the rocks. I know Im going out on a limb here, but I thought Id ask before I got my arms wet. Thanks in advance.

Bait them with food? I heard spageti bowls (so the fish stays and the water leaves)? Just one of the ideas Ive heard.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Does it matter if the fish is dead or live when removed? It may seem cruel but I have seen small "spears" made to hunt the bully fish. Another, less lethal idea is to figure out where it "sleeps", wait a few hours after lights out to go in with a red light and remove the fish via net or cup. You may need to remove some rocks ahead time to be quick about it during the night raid.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I had a problem similar, too... here's what I did... "THE REPTO WAY"...
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Ah man, that was just too funny not to bring that story back to the light, for those that have missed it here is a link to the thread to put that pic in context.

http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=1698
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

whoya, can you elaborate on the spear? Whats it made of?

That has to be one of the funnest things I every read heheheehehehehheheheh

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

The spear I saw was made piece of small wood dowel rod with some (4 or 5) straight pins glued on the end. I would think superglue would work good. I would think if you roughed up the pins with a file, the victim would less likely to fall off.

TNT - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't know if this will help but I have made a homemade fish trap b4 from an empty 2 liter coke bottle. I cut off the bottom and left the cap on, then I put a cube of brine shrimp in the bottle. Fed that way for about three days. The I punched a hole in the bottle and tied fish line to it. Fish was acclimated that the bottle was not a bad thing and as soon as it dropped in, fish swam in and I pulled him out. Then took evil fish to LFS and traded him on poor unsuspecting soul. LOL

Great idea TNT. Ill give it a try and let you know how it goes.