[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

We never learn the right way, do we?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Default We never learn the right way, do we?

Yesterday I noticed two cottony spots on my adult picasso pair ( 1.5 yr old) , I thought that it could have been some food stuck to the body, but in the back of my mind I was thinking it could be ick or some kind of fungus.

I saw this morning that the two spots seem to look like some rash and now there are more small/tiny cottony spots.

Now my purple fire fish has one cottony spot. I finally decided to setup a hospital/qt tank.

I always knew that being in this hobby I need to have a hospital/qt tank but I was confident that my fish will not get ich as I will try to keep the best params but some how my fish got it. I still have no clue what caused it.

But finally 2yrs in the hobby I started my hospital/qt tank today. Hopefully they make it through. My strategy is to feed the heck out of the fish to keep it strong to fight it out. If that dosent work then the fish will be moved to the hospital tank.

Share your experience and tips with ich.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sounds like you are on the right path. Spike the food with garlic too...I think that's supposed to help.

First Name
    Manoj

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Sounds like you are on the right path. Spike the food with garlic too...I think that's supposed to help.
    My wife smashed some garlic and we put it in the food. Jim can you tell me what kind of medication should I plan on ?

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Yes garlic helps in a couple ways. First it boosts the fishes immune system. Second it is an appitite stimulant alot of fish stop eating when they get ich and then it spirals out of control. Keeping them eating is most important. If you can get them out before it takes a stronger hold that would be good. That way you can medicate will lots of different approved drugs without damaging corals. If you do remove the fish keep the tank fallow for 6 weeks to make sure the ich is gone. I had an out break about 1 month after I brought home a tommini tang. Ofcoarse I didnt have a QT either I buy from places the qt their fish, Still need to qt or its like russian roulette. I used garlic supplement and freash 2 times a week all the fish made it. When i transfered them to the bigger tank my clown gobies got it again and died this time. Got all the fish out and waited 6 weeks before putting anything back in no problems so far 9+ months.
    Good luck

First Name
    Manoj

Jamie,

Are you suggesting that I should take all fish out or just the three fishes that are infected?

Also my strategy was to first feed the heck out of them and then observe, if I see their health deteriorate then I plan on moving them to the qt tank.

I am afraid if I move them to the qt now, I might stress them more.

What are your thoughts?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Wow, guess I didn't know that it was possible for fish to get ich in a well established tank. Particularly if there were no new introductions.

Good luck Manoj, hope all goes well.

I feed NLS pellets Thera A formula to help battle parasites.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Manoj

You are right Rob, there were no fish added and no coral as well.

The only change was that I put in a brand new sump with the same rocks that were in the sump before. I decided not to put sand because it would cause a new cycle.

The swap took less than 5 hrs. But the system was not stopped, the power heads were on. I dont think that was the trigger because I do this every month to test my back up system and I shut the system down for 6 hrs to see how my back up holds up.

First Name
    Manoj

Quote Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm View Post
    That way you can medicate will lots of different approved drugs without damaging corals.
    Good luck
    Jamie, can you tell me what kind of medications did you use?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

+1 on the garlic.

Might also want to look into hyposalinity. Helped me in the past! A good UV sterilizer, if possible, will surely help.

Waiting to move your infected fish is a hard one to decide...yes, the move can stress the fish more- but you dont want to infect any other uninfected fish either.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have no info on meds....I have never used any.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last