[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

weird tank algae help!!!

Bookmark and Share

Default weird tank algae help!!!

i just recently added two clown fish to my 30 gallon tank, i also
    have two small red crabs and one snail, recently my live sand started
    turning a dark tan color, i dont know what it is but it is spreading
    throughout my sand. what should i do?!

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Welcome aboard linds51116. We're glad to have you as a new member here at Captive Reefing. We hope to be of help to you whenever you need it. There's a lot of knowledge around here, and look forward into your input as well!

It would be helpful to know as much about your tank as possible. How long have you had your tank up. One thing we all love here is pictures, so if you have a picture of your tank, that may be helpful. You'll hear and be asked questiongs from others who jump in with advice, and more info will be added to what I have to say with more info about what makes your system tick! As for your problem, It sounds like you may be experiencing diatom algae if it's covering the top of your sand, & rocks.. If that's it, you need a bigger clean up crew....more snails that love detriust, hermits, sea cucumbers (excellent) expecially if you can get more than one of the cucs. These critter will really help you a lot. You would benefit from adding a few blennys or gobys that are bottom dwellers & detrius eaters. They are nice fish, and some of them can be very personable. We have a Lawnmower Blenny & a Scooter. Both are really cool tank pals that will socialize with you, and that work for you too.
    Your sand turning the brownish color really sounds like it's pretty full of detrius. That can build up if you are overfeeding. Feed once a day at the most, but make sure that they are consuming all that you give. If you happen to overfeed on a certain day, don't feed again for a couple days. This will make your fish have to pick at all the leftover from the rock and sand. Do you do your water changes each month, top off your tank with fresh water if the tank water is evaporating, and last but not least, do you run your water tests to monitor what's going on in your water? I hope I've helped a little anyway! Welcome once again, and we'll be waiting for you comments to see if we can help more. ......Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like you have Diatoms i just had a round of it a while back not fun at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hear is whit i did to get red of it. I hopeyour using RODI water or at least RO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1 as you do water Changes steer it up before and you will get a lot of it as you remove the water.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#also you can use a Turkey baster to draw some of it from the sand before you start the water change#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2 Add some more water movement with power heads#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3 use a Phosphate sponge#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Toke about 6 weeks to completely get red of it #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your getting some good information . . . I have a serpent star-- he's does a really good job of cleaning up my sand bed--#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just started a new 24gal. Reef tank and got the samebrownalgaeat about week 6. I bought 12 Turbo Snails and they took the brown algae off the rocks. They didn't seem to like eating the algae growing on the sand. I bought a sea cucumber and that did the trick along with manually stirring the sand. Now at about week number 10 the tank looks great. Good Luck#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/2.gif"#ed_cl#!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!