[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What is happening to my tang?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default What is happening to my tang?

I posted a picture taken 2 days ago of the new tang (Tommy) in our 180. I was watching him and in about a 5 minute time span it looked as though he went head-on with a rock. His face is scratched. I thought he had done a really quick turn in a cave and scratched his face but it seems to be worse today.

These are pics I took about an hour ago. Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Not sure but from your description it seems to be spreding fast. It could be a infected scratch. I would put him back in QT and start treatment for fungal and bacterial infections untill you get a more positive idea of what is happening.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Could be Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion. commonly caused by stress and diet. i would place in QT and try a varied diet of seaweed and mysis, just my $.02. hope it helps

this is an excellent article on it http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3979
    SAVE OUR REEFS ... PROPAGATE

[SIGPIC][img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/talkingreef.gif[img][/SIGPIC]

Good call but from my understading, and it woul not be the first time I was wrong, HLLE generaly starts around te eyes and not in te front of the head, but none the less something to look into.

I would definitely get him into QT quick. It must be scary to see it getting bad so fast. In addition to treating him with meds, I would enrich his food... soak the seaweed in Selcon before you give it to him (and the other foods too). A little garlic probably wouldn't hurt either. Best wishes!

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

looks just like HLLE to me, we have a koran that started out just like that of a customers. she brought it in to us and we treated with selcon and garlic. she's doing great now but will be left with a scar. good luck.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

CR Member

Geeze! He had two weeks absolutely no problem the day AFTER he goes into the general population he gets HLLE? He IS getting a nice varied diet of mysis shrimp, nori, spirulina, and yes it is usually soaked in garlic first AND we add a vitamin supplement AND cyclopeeze. He's eating like a horse and eats nearly 1/2 a sheet of nori a day. What is selcon?? Can selcon be put into the main tank? Is HLLE contagious to the other fish?

Boy this is really disappointing!

CR Member

OK I read the article. The tank paramaters are all perfect. No nitrates No ammonia, No nitrites, Alk 9.6 and calcium 450. Salinity is 1.25, Temp is 78. We change 10% water weekly and it's ALWAYS the above measurements.

I've already said we soak all the fish food in garlic (at least 3X a week) We also use a vitiman additive (at least 3X a week). (I'm not being sarcastic here just pointing out something said earlier so y'all can remember.) He eats nori, he eats mysis, he eats clam, he eats talipa, he eats shrimp, he eats spirulina and he eats laminaria strips. So his diet is definately varied and supplemented. Now what?

Should I see to it that ALL his food has the garlic and vitamin supplements? We are trying to figure out a way to pen him into a section of the main tank and we can insure that he gets the proper food supplements all to himself. Does that sound feasible? Again, what is selcon??

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here is a link on the Selcon, which is good stuff in my opinion.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AM1511

Personnally if the tang is eatting well in the main tank I would just leave it in there and just keep boosting its immune system with all the things mentioned. I would give it some time. Flippin it back into the QT might stress it out more. Just my 2 cents.

I still don't think it's HLLE! it has spread to rapidly and with the positioning I highly doubt it. Plus if you params and diet are as you stated, which I am sure they are, then it makes me think this even more. Just my 2 cents but I highly recomend you look at other possibilites along with HLLE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last