[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What salts do you use to maintain your Reef

Bookmark and Share
    ROGERWILCO357 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default What salts do you use to maintain your Reef

ok I have been reading that Tropic Marin Pro Salt has had some issues with keeping their dKH consistant . I use Reef Crystals have been for years and want to try some of the higher priced salts but need to know if they are worth the extra money? what do you use and why? what numbers do you get when you test your salt batches for water changes? like :
    what should the test numbers be ?
    8.0-8.5 dKH, 440 Ca, and 1350 mag?

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

my mag, alk, and calcium were all low right after water changes with RC but i am pretty stocked for a 29g tank so it is expected... i have since switched to brightwell and my parameters are spot in right in the green now that i switched. worked out good because i don't have to add supplements anymore.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I've been using reef crystals also for almost 2yrs. I've only tested for cal-and kh and ph It's always been pretty consistent for me. cal420-and kh 9 and ph 8.4 I don't have a mag kit. However our LFS only sells reef crystals/instant ocean and oceanic so I haven't tried anything else. This is what I used to find out my info on salts: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/pla...Primary-El.htm
    Last edited by MizTanks; 02-11-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ROGERWILCO357 - Reefkeeper CR Member

what about tropic marin pro salt? I hear that they have fluctuating dkh problems ? from 8-9 down to 5? I don't use it but I read somewhere that they are having issues anyone here use it?

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

ESV 4-Part for me. It's been very consistent.

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

bio-sea is what i use and i love it
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by BK's Reef View Post
    bio-sea is what i use and i love it
    That's what I use(d) but my LFS has let me down again and won't have it in any of their 4 locations for 1 to 2 weeks. Looks like I'm changing salt brands now. I guess I need to find something I can buy anywhere. Even petco if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Just switched to Britewell,I have yet to see a more stable salt. Levels have been spot on now for three weeks.RC and IO have dramatic alk swing issues.ESV4 is another good salt but you have to measure and mix all the parts up.No big deal but time consumeing. Tropic marine is haveing the same issues as RC as the rumour mill say's.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Just switched to Britewell,I have yet to see a more stable salt. Levels have been spot on now for three weeks.RC and IO have dramatic alk swing issues.ESV4 is another good salt but you have to measure and mix all the parts up.No big deal but time consumeing. Tropic marine is haveing the same issues as RC as the rumour mill say's.

Now that you mention it and thinking harder on it. I have noticed that it's hard to keep my Kh consistent. In the last year it's been anywhere from 7 to 11, which is were it's at today. But the 11 has been consistent oh I'm using RC
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com