[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

what are things coming to

Bookmark and Share
    jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Default what are things coming to

I just finished my first CORAL magazine, geat articles, cant wait for the next issue. But one of the articles(actually an online article) really blew me away. There are people actually using colored dye's to create new color morphs ect ect in certain corals.

I'm still to angry to think about the entire issue, its almost as bad, if not worse than people injecting dye into fish to create new colors.

...........................complete loss of words ...........

Just had to vent somewhere.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I would agree that this is pretty ridiculous. I drives me crazy when I see those poor fish being tattooed in Japan.
    I actually unknowingly bought an anemone once that I believe someone had soaked in food coloring to alter its look.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

its just a matter of time.

So long as we continuously come up with stupid names and stupidly high prices for corals with said names, people will attempts to make money off us.. If that means painting, injecting, whatever, they will do it to make a buck.. and many of us will probably give them that buck, possibly unknowingly.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

The old adage...."buyer beware".....holds true now more than ever.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

I actually unknowingly bought an anemone once that I believe someone had soaked in food coloring to alter its look.
    anemone's were one of the coral's that was mentioned in the article, sadly most coral dies very soon afterwards. Hope yours made it.

And nothing against Asia, but it always seems that 99% of all these trends seems to start there, maybe the UN needs to start giving them a little heat on animal cruelty...but wont happen. Infact I believe custom colored babies are suppose to be all the rage come next fall, can I get a blue with pink spots one....

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Isn't it great when people can't appreciate natural beauty and have to strive for the artificial? It's not just here in the hobby either, interbred dogs to the point of health defects for a certain look, silicone implants & colored contact lenses in humans, etc etc.

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

All this means is we have to spend another hour or two researching what we're buying before we buy it to make sure we're not getting something unnatural. I've seen a couple dyed specimens before, but I'm not a "collector" hobbyist at this point so I don't strive to get that one coral or fish that no one has. Buyer Beware indeed!
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've been thinking about getting a tank full of kenya trees and seeing what kind of cool colors I could make them into.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'd like to pose this question to some of our coral selling sponsors-and or sellers period. What do you think about injecting colors?
    I got into an argument once about the florescent tetras. How I thought it as cruel and inhuman. I was told: "why they're born that way" stupid people shouldn't breath UGH!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com