[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

When is comes to Salt?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default When it comes to Salt?

I know I'm going to get a lot of opinions on this question but I've never used any other salt except for Reef Crystals. Am willing and maybe wanting to try something new. Not that RC hasn't been good, I think it has. But is there something better for my sps mainly?
    Last edited by MizTanks; 12-04-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I use RC also. I did try some more expesive TM for a year but saw no difference so back to RC I went.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks for answering Slapshot

Most major brand salts are made by the same company so in many cases they are exactly the same product.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Most major brand salts are made by the same company so in many cases they are exactly the same product.
    Very true I was using seachem salt which is pricier then reef crystals and my vendor said they same thing. I switched to reef crystals and nothing changed at all. Well except for the price!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I use RC, $46.99 shipped to my door for 200g (I buy two cases for the free shipping). I like it and have no problems. If it works, why switch

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    I use RC, $46.99 shipped to my door for 200g (I buy two cases for the free shipping). I like it and have no problems. If it works, why switch
    gotta agree on this wisdom.If it ain't broke then don't fix it LOL That said I will also throw my .02 in.We used RC for over a decade and it served us well tell lately.I have noticed very high and inconsistant alk levels by buckets.That's as much as I'll get on the soap box on that subject and the food you sent rocks!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Wonderful to hear about the food Binford-I know it sure is stinky, but my fish and corals love it so I love it guess I will say the same for RC lol

Have you ever test the alk, calc and mag with your freshly made RC salts? RC salts claim to have very high alk: 14dkh and high calc like 550. what do you guys do to adjust those parameters down to an acceptable range or you guys always keep your tank parameters that high?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I've personally NEVER have had readings that high from a new batch of RC water. I test often