[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who has had a tank crash?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Who has had a tank crash?

I was wondering who has had a tank crash? What caused it? And what did hou do to prevent it from happening again?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

This might be a good thread to let grow and then create another thread with the same title, sticky it and pull all of the good questions and answers out of it for people to reference in the future.

I'm counting my blessing as I've never had this happen.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

i crashed my 12 gal nano killed every thing but one coral and it was from over adding plankton about a half a bottle robed all the o2 from the water and every thing died over night only thing i can say is we learn from our mistakes in this hobby we all have done it our will have it happen to use at one point it sucks realy bad
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

the two major factors that contribute to tank crashes IMO are equipment failure and a nitrate/phosphate spike. oh and over feeding but that kinda goes with nitrate spike. thankfully i am lucky enough to have not experience a disaster where everything died.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

L&L, the biggest crash i have seen has been MIKE's 270g when it went down. not sure if that is a crash or not since it was due to power failure but he lost ALOT and moved on and now has another great tank going.

Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good answers! But im wondering about total crashes.

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

My 180 crashed a few years back when it was FO. It was just too much too fast. Fish got some ich that they could not fight off and tank re cycled.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Twice, once "someone" tossed a penny in my fuge. The other time I attribute it to old tank syndrome since the tank was up and running for 12 years.

My fixes....well my son knows better now, lol and I change 100 percent of the water once a year. I don't know if the later is a real fix but everything sure is happy after I do it. BTW I do it over a 5 day period. 1/3 at a time, yes, I know it does not get all the old water but it is still a major change.

Good question Cap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team CR

First Name
    Larry

Nice Slapshot! Sounds like a solution.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have. My old 50 got overdosed with kalk.

before:

2009 03 22 fts - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 20 topdown center sm - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 22 topdown1 - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 22 topdown2 - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 22 topdown3 - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 22 topdown4 - Who has had a tank crash?

2009 03 22 topdown5 - Who has had a tank crash?

after:

disaster1 - Who has had a tank crash?

In my case, I had allowed the auto top off reservoir to empty and display was probably a gallon or two low. When I refilled the top-off reservoir the tank called for 2+ gallons of water which ran through my kalk reactor. So it was 2+ gallons of saturated kalkwasser. It happened on my way out of the house in the morning and sat like that till I got home at 5:30. To make matters worse, I normally had an alarm set up my tank to tell me of a problem, but had recently got a new computer and hadn't configured it yet on the new machine.

In retrospect a couple lines of code to shut off the top off if the ph got too high would have been all it would take to prevent the accident.

Truthfully, my tank has never looked even half that good since and it has been more than 3 years since it happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last