[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Worst reefing disasters

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Worst reefing disasters

LAst night I got a call from my wife saying when she went down to the basement it smelled really fishy and the carpet was wet. She then said that about 2/3 of my aquarium was empty!!! As you can imagine I hurried home to assess the damage. When I walked into the basement I knew it would now be good!

SO I sloshed across the wet carpet into the room where the tank is to find that as she said about 2/3 of the tank was empty! All I could think is it blew a seam!! As I inspected it I found the cause quickly!!! A hose on a closed loop had blown off and emptied the tank down to the intake. On one hand I was relieved but still upset!

Some ofthe corals were above the water line so they were quicly put under the remianing water. A heater was install el pronto. I took all the water I had on hand and started making salt water!! By 4a.m I had the tank full enough to restart the primary loop. so I was able to get a bit of sleep. At 7am I transfered another 35 gallons from the R/O holding tank to the mixing barrel, added salt and went to bed!!

The good thing is some things have lost some color but so far no casualties! I think that one thing in my favor was the fact that something must have tripped the GFI where most of the lights are plugged in. That kept the corals from baking under halides while they were above the water line. I also got lucky that my wife was home and called me.

Things that will be changed: HArd plumbing that closed loop!!! Adding water stroage capacity!! I will have at least 150 gallons of R/o on hand now because of this.

I did have 5 buckets of brightwell salt on hand and that was a major plus! Needless to say this is a practice I will continue!!!

I have the carpet almost dried out but I am going to take the extractor I rented (it also cleans carpet) and clean it well before I take it back. I also reneted an idustial carpet drier to dry things out. HAve teh dehumidifier running also

It sucks but I am not letting it get me down :D. A mistake is never a bad thing if you learn something from it and I learned a lot.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Did the wife get any pics of you freaking out??

If so where are they??

Glad to hear everything so far is good, keep us up to date.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

No pics

I stayed pretty calm. Pretty much triaging the situation and making sure that I got thing safely under the water. I alomost have it filled all the way back up. I figure in about an hour it should be ready to go. The Alpha 300 I have cominng today will have lots to skim that is for sure.
    anacroporamademepoora

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Re: Worst reefing disasters

Mike, glad to hear a is well. Let me know if you need some barrels for water storage.
    By the way using tapatalk from work on my iPhone right now!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

reefwonders - Reefkeeper CR Member

Glad to hear everything made it through this ordeal. It's never a good thing to walk into your home and smell the fishy water.

Rob that would be fantastic. I would like 3 if you have them.

Bob I have checked the corals there were out of water and other than some color loss they are extening their polyps.

The tank is running now!!! Thank god for a fast RO unit. MAkes me want to install a secondary now!!!
    anacroporamademepoora

Running the Ozone intot he H&S right now!!!! The skimmer is certainly working hard. The Alpha 300 I hope will make even shorter work of this.
    anacroporamademepoora

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

It could have been worse, glad all is well and on its way back. I would only add to see what caused your lights to go out(good they did, but no shorts) and were your heaters submerged thru the ordeal?

chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

I think it was a low voltage power supply that got wet and tripped the breaker. Everything is working well. I have some cable channel that I am going to install to keep everything covered and as high as possible.
    anacroporamademepoora

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think it was a low voltage power supply that got wet and tripped the breaker. Everything is working well. I have some cable channel that I am going to install to keep everything covered and as high as possible.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last