[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Waste water

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Waste water

How would ya use the waste water from ro/di for other uses do you set up a waste water tank or fun back into plumbing thank you trying to help a friend out

Big Steve

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

You could funnel it into a bucket and use it for watering plants~most I believe just run it down the drain.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

You could pipe it to a barrel or other holding tank. If you do so make sure you provide an air gap so there is no chance of backsiphoning back to the RO unit and it meets local and state plumbing codes.
    After looking at all the work involved plus pumps or manpower involved to save and use the waste I made the decision to buy a low waste RO/DI which runs at slightly less than 1:1 waste ratio so I save water and send what I do produce to the sanitary sewer where it gets treated and reused over and over.

CR Member
    First Name
    Gary

Never Drink or let your pets drink waste water. High concentrations of flouride, which cause brittle bones in all of us who have them.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I collect some of mine and use it for house plant watering or the initial fill for the washing machine.

HTH,
    Tom

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

You would only have a high concentration of fluoride or anything else if it were present in the tap water to begin with.
    The waste or more accurately "brine" flow is only 20% to 25% higher TDS than the tap water TDS was to begin with so nothing is at toxic or unhealthful levels unless you were treating non potable water.
    The normal waste ratio is 4:1 or 4 gallons of brine to 1 gallon of treated water. The concentrated TDS from that 1 gallon of treated water is diluted in those 4 gallons of waste thus the 20 to 25% higher TDS. Really no big deal and safe to use as long as the source was safe to begin with.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would watch using the waste water on sensitive plants like orchids, they generally prefer a very clean water to begin with. The washing machine is a great idea, though even for the amount of ro I make for my 180g, at most 100g/mo I just dump it.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Id love to do the washing machine idea, I'd just hate to accidentally over-flow it since my RO/DI is constantly on filling up my top-off tank/tub.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I learned a long time ago about flooding things.
    My first RO system was in the kitchen and I filled my buckets and jugs from the RO faucet and pressure tank, remember this was about 20 years ago and before the popularity of RO/DI and I didn't know anything about TDS creep in a pressure tank. I forgot and flooded the kitchen a couple times and boy was she mad! We had commercial carpet in the kitchen area and it really stunk when wet.....

I bought a couple small digital kitchen timers, one even has a clip so I can wear it like a pager, so I can now set a timer if I am filling something and need to be reminded. Mostly I use the timers for the BBQ or for my homebrewing but they still come in handy for filling buckets or jugs too. You could do the same when filling the washer.
    One bad thing is the new front loaders can't be filled like that.

I too send my waste to the drain and I don't feel guilty about it since it gets recycled and reused over and over. I also have an ultra low waste RO/DI system so I am only wasting about 0.67 gallons for every gallon I treat but it cost me to get to that point, may not be for everyone.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Another option is to keep ALL of it in the basement and use a pump to move the water (either ro/di or brine) wherever you need it. A separate bucket for the waste/brine collection could have an overflow that dumps to a drain or sump, it's not a bad idea to have an overflow on the ro/di water container headed to the same drain/sump. It's a cheap way to avoid self inflicted floods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last