[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Breeding Journal: A. Ocellaris

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Pics of the original 2 are in my album and my tank thread, I'll see if I can get pics of the new guy tomorrow.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great jornal! Im tagging along.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Ok guys...heehee sorry got caught up on the baby news!
    I am going to have to figure something out here.... as I want to post here, MBI, and there are 3 other places I am posting, along with reading 2 sites...FISHTAL's is #1, along with facebook ...I want to update everyone...but I don't want this experience to be all about writing and missing out on what I am doing. (make sense or sound silly?)
    Anyway...I think I will post here, and of course MBI, and just post my youtube links to the others, so they can follow along, and link here (more followers to CR is the thought?) Sound good?

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Update:

8/14/2010, doing fine..... eggs look abit like rice grains.. from the front they have a brownish tint, from the side still golden yellow not as much orange
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0qIl2YmHk"]YouTube- Clownfish Day #2 8/14/2010[/ame]

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

8/15/2010 Day #3
    Day # 3 is going well also, I have been feeding regularly, and have noticed the protectiveness getting stronger when I approach with the camera...Pappa is sure guarding those babies!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-VDyK_GNU"]YouTube- Clownfish Day # 3 8/15/2010[/ame]
    The Turbo was agitating them, so I moved him away so they wouldn't be stressed.
    I am working on a phyto/rotifer station...using an idea I got online, and this damn winerack I have not been able to sell. (lol we got it from friends years ago...we don't drink wine..it's basically holding the frogfish tank right now...but here is my plan?)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

I plan on keeping the phyto cultures on the top rack with a shop light or similar on the bottles, tubing /air pump etc...thinking of putting the rotifers in 5 gallon buckets beneath the stand... using the middle shelf as a workspace/ cultured bottles area...still thinking in progress..but that is what I am thinking... here is a shot of what I pulled up:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9X2E2V2Kg"]YouTube- How to Culture Phytoplankton[/ame]
    I like how all the bottles are separated, lit, and the various strains/colors... still a work in progress, so no pics yet... but comments/ideas are welcome!

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

(ok..got it outta my system...time to remove all the hub bub I typed, lol)

just logged off from CR and jumped onto facebook to log out, noticed I had a message from Ian (club member/reefer buddy) - he is taking down his tank/selling it as moving/building a new house.

Anyway.........................He told me to come over and get his complete phyto/rot set up as he will not be using it anymore.
    Wow.......I am so excited that I will have this that crap! Now I won't be able to go to sleep...!
    (lucky for me I got the "Escape to the Coral Reefs" (netflix, and it will knock me out!)
    Ok.... now I can put my winerack plan into action!
    Any suggestions? I will post pics of the set up once I have it. And find out what needs to be where... I will have Ian on speed dial for help on culturing as well - I am not a pro at this as he is.
    I am wanting to get the station set up before hubby gets home (1 less thing he would have to hook up, and hopefully be able to feed this hatch !!)
    Yes!! So excited !! (ok...had to get it out of my system...sorry guys...go to sleep now!
    Last edited by Chelle's Ocean; 08-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Hey anyone (Tal especially)
    Please check this out:
    Re: Feeding rotifers and clown fry
    by admin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 pm

I would not try to feed them bioplankton. Really the best food is rotifer diet. It doesn't effect the ph of the water as much as some of the plankton you buy in the store. Rotifer diet is available from Reed-Mariculture. As far as caring for the fry check out the main site http://www.breedclownfish.com I would try to get the salinity close in the fry tank and the rotifer tank. When you first get the rotifers make sure to put them into water that has the same salinity as what is in the shipping bag. Then gradually over several hours raise the salinity to your fry tank level. You don't want to shock the rotifers and kill them. Room temperature is the most stable for rotifers, but if you want to produce high numbers of rotifers raising the temperature can help. You run the risk of crashing the system though when the temperature is high and so many are being produced. Be sure you have a backup batch. Check the main site for the rest of your questions.

So do you acclimate the rotifers prior to putting them INTO the fry tank also? Or do you just put them in? Would they crash/die off?

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Also....what about this:

Re: how to avoid rotifers crash
    by admin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Richard-I would remove the sediment at the bottom of the bucket. Siphon it out if you can. I always use fresh saltwater, and not the saltwater from my main tank. PH shouldn't be a problem. Most salt mixes have buffers in them so that when you make saltwater the ph should be close to ideal. Test your freshly made saltwater. I have a feeling the ph will be pretty close to what it should be. I use Instant Ocean and usually the ph is already where it needs to be. One thing you can experiment with is using a heater in your rotifer cultures. Warmer water will make the rotifers reproduce more quickly but you will have to be careful because as they are reproduce more quickly they also are eating more food=more waste=more detritus=possible crash. Monitor it closely and change your water as often as possible.

Is there a way to add a drop in filter, a sponge filter, or something of the like that will catch the waste..but not the rots? Is that advisable? How 'warm' is warm in order to get them to grow/ multiply faster?

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Ok- just a quickie post to let you know I haven't forgotten CR, lol-
    I am trying to increase the rotifer population - as it doesn't look like there is that much in the jar.
    Can I add Fuel ( Aquavitro ) along with the phyto? Harm or good?

I have 3 very nice deep green jars of phyto going...just a bubblin away!

Clowns are still taking care of the babies. I can see more detail around the egg, although it has not changed from a "grain of rice" form,
    Day #4 is 8/16/2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imat1s1X9ws"]YouTube- Clownfish Journal Day #4[/ame]

Page 2 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last